Woodruff J. Deem papers
Woodruff J. Deem papers
This collection includes the following materials: Microfiche and hard copies from the U.S. Archives concerning Office of Indian Affairs correspondence and the Department of Justice Court of Claims documents dated 1824-1983; the 1938-1940 volumes of the Georgetown Law Review; court transcripts dated 1980; a poster advertising “Mr. Deem and his greatest day in court” dated November 5, 1981; one photograph of the Georgetown University Law School and two photographs of the Roll of Best Advocates plaque; “The Deem Lectures” by Michael Bradbury dated May 30, 1989; newspaper clippings dated 1975-1983; course syllabi, resource document and exam and quiz keys for 1973-1983; court case proceedings and other legal papers concerning Ute Indian tribes, dated 1947-1967; a letter to Woodruff J. Deem from Ernest L. Wilkinson, 1977, concerning the cardiovascular history of Wilkinson’s father; teacher Evalutions of WJ Deem, 1978.
- Extent: 1 oversize folder (0.1 linear ft.). -- 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 9 cartons (9 linear ft.)
- Creator: Deem, Woodruff J., 1913-1988
- Call Number: MSS 5911
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Woodruff J. Deem papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 5911; Woodruff J. Deem papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5911, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Norrie Deem Zabriskie and Charles L. Deem in various installments beginning in 1989.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Norrie Deem Zabriskie and Charles L. Deem; various installments beginning in 1989.
- Subject Terms
- Deem, Woodruff J., 1913-1988--Archives; J. Reuben Clark Law School--Faculty; United States. Court of Claims; Civil Procedure and Courts; Colleges and Universities; Education, Higher--Utah--Provo; Lawyers--Utah; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; University Archivist student processor, Melissa Cowles, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- 20th Century Western and Mormon Americana because of Woody J. Deem's involvement in the west and LDS Church.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Deem (Woodruff J.) papers
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T11:03-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Woodruff J. Deem (1913- ) was a lawyer and professor.
Woodruff J. Deem was born December 19, 1913, in Salt Lake City. He graduated from Occidental College in 1936. He studied at Georgetown Law School and graduated in 1940. He served in the United States Army from 1943 to 1946. He married Norrie Dolvin in February 1947. He then worked for Ernest Wilkinson’s Law Firm focusing primarily on Indian Claims Litigation. He worked for Ventura County, California, as the Chief Criminal Prosecutor from 1949-1955 and 1957-1962 and later as the Ventura County District Attorney from 1962-1973. Woodruff also worked as a Professor at Church College Hawaii from 1955-1957 and at the BYU Law School starting in 1973.
comments powered by Disqus