Kanadesaga and Geneva

Kanadesaga and Geneva

Dates: 1888

Kanadesaga and Geneva includes three parts: 1) Brief account of Iroquois Indians; 2) Negotiations by the State with the Indians; and 3) Reminiscences, early navigation routes, account logs relating to New York, etc. The original, written in 1888, is a bound book of approximately 818 pages.

  • Extent: 2 microfilm reels (0.16 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Conover, George S. (George Stillwell), 1824
  • Call Number: MSS 5942
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public access.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Kanadesaga and Geneva must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: MSS 5942; Kanadesaga and Geneva; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5942, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Original loaned for microfilming via Larry Porter, September 2007; original returned to donor.
Acquisition Information
Donation; 2007.
Related Material
These items are part of the 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana Archives.
Subject Terms
Geneva (N.Y.); Iroquois Indians; Kanadesaga (N.Y.)
Genre / Form
Microfilms
Appraisal Information
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_MSS5942
Finding Aid Title
Kanadesaga and Geneva
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Lucy Brimhall
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-10-20T04:22-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative history

Geneva, New York was initially a Seneca Native American village known as Kanadesaga. Destroyed by the Sullivan Expedition in 1779 as punishment for the Iroquois cooperation with the British during the American Revolution, it was later resettled by Europeans. The village of Geneva was incorporated in 1806 and later linked to the Erie Canal by the Cayuga-Seneca Canal.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Ryan Lee
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts
ryan_lee@byu.edu