Charles H. Price papers
Charles H. Price papers
Personal, military, and church papers of Charles Hampton Price including: letters, journals, photographs, scrapbooks, maps, pamphlets, newspapers, magazines, notebooks, military records, lecture notes/reports, debt notes, locomotive passes, ticket bills to plays, coins, and stamps; 1924-1982. Collection focuses heavily on Germany and German-American relations.
- Extent: 2 oversize boxes (2 linear ft.). -- 2 boxes (1 linear ft.). -- 37 cartons (37 linear ft.)
- Creator: Price, Charles H. (Charles Hampton), 1911-1982
- Call Number: MSS 5952
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
- Arranged into four series: 1. Charles H. Price Germany papers, 1936-1982. 2. Charles H. Price Lecture and Lufthansa papers, 1958-1981. 3. Charles H. Price Church and Personal papers, 1924-1982. 4. Charles H. Price Military papers, 1936-1982.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Charles H. Price papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 5952; Charles H. Price papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5952, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Marjorie T. Price in 1984 and 1986.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Marjorie T. Price; 1984 and 1986.
- Subject Terms
- United States. Army. Air Corps; Berlin (Germany)--History--20th century; Correspondence; Material Types; World War, 1939-1945
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Diaries; Letters; Military records; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles; 11 Oct 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy of 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Price (Charles H.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and Melissa Cowles, student processors John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-09T17:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Charles H. Price (1911-1982) was a pilot, author and photographer.
Charles H. Price was born March 2, 1911 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Charles William and Edna Hampton Price. He served a mission in Germany from 1930-1933, where he not only learned to love Germany and its culture, but also began taking photographs, many of which are in this collection. In 1935 he joined the Army Corps as a flying cadet and served in the Army Air Corps Reserves and National Guard before World War II. He married Marjorie La Vonne Teudt October 28, 1938. In 1942 he was commissioned in the US Army Air Corps. While living in Germany from 1956-1961 he met Hugo Jaeger, who was one of Hitler's personal photographers. Price helped Jaeger to sell many of his pictures to Life magazine, to which Jaeger thanked him by giving him some of his slide copies (which are in this collection). In 1962 Lieutenant Colonel Price retired after 26 years in the service. He retired to Colorado Springs, Colorado.
After his retirement from the service, he became a public relations officer for Lufthansa Airlines for 10 years, until his retirement at age 65. He was active in the LDS church and was a Patriarch in Colorado Springs. He died December 2, 1982 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
He was the author of two books, Concerning God, a short work on the difference between the Catholic and Mormon concept of God; and a history of the Mormon church in the Pike's Peak area. The latter is a large unpublished work, the manuscript of which is in the collection.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 5952
Charles H. Price papers on Germany
Charles H. Price lecture and Lufthansa papers
Charles H. Price Church and personal papers
Charles H. Price military papers
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts