Charles A. Callis letters
Charles A. Callis letters
The collection includes forty-six letters from Charles A. Callis to Leonard A. Fillerup and various other letters and materials relating to the Southern States Mission during the years 1924-1926.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Callis, Charles A.
- Call Number: MSS 6087
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Charles A. Callis letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6087; Charles A. Callis letters; 20th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6087, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Noel R. Barton in 1990.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Noel R. Barton; 1990.
- Related Material
- See also Charles A. Callis correspondence (MSS SC 1789); See also the Register of the Charles A. Callis Collection (MSS 22).
- Subject Terms
- Callis, Charles A.--Correspondence; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Southern States Mission; Fillerup, Leonard A.--Correspondence; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Southern States
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed;Meghan Mathews, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 14 February 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Callis (Charles A.) letters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Meghan Mathews, student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-23T04:01-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Charles A. Callis (1865-1947) was an Mormon convert and lawyer who was an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Charles A. Callis was born on 4 May 1865 in Dublin, Ireland, to John Callis and Susan Charlotte Quilliam. His father died when Charles was young, leaving his mother to provide as best she could. The family was converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England and soon afterwards emigrated to America where they settled in Utah. Despite not having the priveledge of formal schooling Charles was successful in local politics and later accepted a series of mission calls to Wyoming, Great Britain and the Southern States. He married Grace Elizabeth Pack on 3 September 1902 in Salt Lake City. He also pursued the study of law and passed bar exams in 3 states, which gave him considerable respectability as well as the ability to legally defend missionaries. In 1933 he was ordained an apostle in the church, which position he held until his death on 21 January 1947.
comments powered by Disqus