Ned Brown papers
Ned Brown papers
Dates: circa 1896-1992
This collection contains the professional papers of Ned Brown, a literary agent. The papers include correspondence, business records, play scripts, newspaper and magazine clippings, and other miscellaneous papers concerning his clients.
- Extent: 31 cartons (31 linear ft.). -- 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brown, Ned
- Call Number: MSS 6098
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research. Donor restriction on Box 5 until the creator and those involved are dead; see Supervisor of Reference Services for permission to access.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Ned Brown papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6098; Ned Brown papers; 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6098, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Ned Brown in various installments starting in 1989.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ned Brown; 1989, 1991, 1993.
- Subject Terms
- Brown, Ned--Archives; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce; Literary agents; Publishers and publishing--United States
- Genre / Form
- Business records; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters; Scripts (Documents)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, II.B.5.VI).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brown (Ned) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-04-29T11:28-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Ned Brown was a literary agent starting in the 1930s/1940s. He married Myra Berry in 1942 while she was working as a writers’ secretary at Hollywood motion picture studios. Shortly after they were married Ned enlisted in the Navy and his wife took over his offices while he was gone. They had three children: Lorna, Betsy, and Jonathon. Ned ran MCA’s literary division until its dismantle in 1963 and then started his own business, the Ned Brown Agency.
comments powered by Disqus