Lillian H. Heil papers
Lillian H. Heil papers
Contains assorted course materials, research, and texts on various aspects of elementary education, as well as records related to the Children's Literature conference and information on the World Council for Curriculum Instruction's folktale project. This includes handbooks, proposals, reports, materials for the Visual Literacy and Poetry projects (research data by school and grade, as well as dramatizations) and the Children’s Literature Survey, and cassette and VHS recordings of research and presentations, approximately 1976 to 1995.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 11 cartons (11 linear ft.)
- Creator: Heil, Lillian H. (Lillian Harmon), 1927
- Call Number: MSS 6139
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into three series: 1. Lillian H. Heil papers on elementary education, 1976-1995. 2. Children's Literature records, 1975-1994. 3. World Council for Curriculum Instruction folktale project, 1975-1981.
- Legal Status
- See also the Gene Heil papers (MSS 1640).
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Lillian H. Heil papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6139; Lillian H. Heil papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6139, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Lillian Heil in 1994 and 2000.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Lillian Heil; 1994, 2000.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Education, Elementary--Research--United States--History--Sources; Elementary and Secondary Education
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Corporate minutes; Folklore; Letters; Manuals (Handbooks); Reports; Slides (Photography); Videocassettes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Clark; August 2007. Combined with MSS 7799; Abe Austin; October 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (Collection development policy of 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Heil (Lillian H.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Amanda C. Clark, Karen Glenn, student processors; John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-04-06T04:01-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Lillian H. Heil (1927-) was a professor of education in Utah. She taught at Brigham Young University.
Lillian H. Heil held a B.A. from Fresno State (1950) in Elementary Education and Music; an M.A. from the University of Utah (1960) in Elementary Education; and an Ed.D. from the Teachers’ College of Columbia University (1968) in Curriculum and Teaching. She worked as a Utah elementary school teacher and also at Air Force Dependent Schools in Germany and LDS Church Schools in Samoa from 1950-1961; at Agnes Russell elementary at Columbia University, 1961-1965; at Queen’s College, New York, 1966-69; at BYU-Hawaii, 1969-1974; and at BYU from 1974 until her retirement sometime in the 1990s. She was the Coordinator for Children’s Literature, and a member of the Teacher Learning Committee and the Planning Committee for the Conference on Nonfiction Books for Children. She served on the BYU Children’s Book Review, on the Executive Board of the Children’s Literature Association of Utah, as President of Delta Kappa Gamma (Women Educators’ organization), and as researcher, author, and presenter of several books and articles on children’s literature and elementary education, from 1974 to 1986. She married Gene Heil in June 1967, but he died in an automobile accident a year later.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 6139
Lillian H. Heil papers on elementary education
Children's Literature records
World Council for Curriculum Instruction folktale project
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts