Donald Q. Cannon faculty and family papers
Donald Q. Cannon faculty and family papers
Donald Q. Cannon faculty and family papers includes the missionary journals of Donald Q. Cannon, Quayle Cannon, Jr., Quayle Cannon, and the journals of others. It also includes research notes, newspaper clippings, articles and other materials on general and specific research topics, handouts and lecture notes, memorabilia from study abroad programs, and manuscripts and bound copies of dissertations. Materials are dated 1888-2006.
- Extent: 22 cartons (22 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 1 media box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize folders (0.3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cannon, Donald Q., 1936
- Call Number: MSS 6154
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six series: 1. Cannon family journals and papers, 1881-1959. 2. Donald Q. Cannon research, 1950-2007. 3. Donald Q. Cannon teaching and instructional materials, 1951-2000. 4. Donald Q. Cannon professional organizations and activities, 1983-2006. 5. Donald Q. Cannon publications, 1938-2001. 6. Donald Q. Cannon photographs, date of production not identified.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Donald Q. Cannon faculty and family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6154; Donald Q. Cannon faculty and family papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6154, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The collection was donated by Donald Q. Cannon in 2007.
- Acquisition Information
- Donation: Donald Q. Cannon, 2007.
- Related Material
- See also MSS 6197 for collection of student research papers on the International History of the Church.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; History; Research; Cannon, Donald Q., 1936-; Cannon, Donald Q., 1936---Archives
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Photographs; Books; Diaries; Dissertations, Academic; Manuscripts; Autobiographies
- Processing Information
- Processed; John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cannon (Donald Q.) faculty and family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-11-03 20:06:27 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Donald Q. Cannon (1936- ) was a religion professor at Brigham Young University.
Donald Q. Cannon was born in Washington, D.C., on December 24, 1936, to Quayle Jr. and Fay Allred Cannon. He was raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, and graduated from East High School in 1954, after which he attended the University of Utah as a Ford Foundation Scholar, graduating with a B.A. in history in 1961.
He served as a missionary in the North German Mission from 1957 to 1959. In 1961, he received an M.A. in history from the University of Utah, and in 1967 received a Ph.D. in American Colonial History from Clark University.
He served in the U.S. Army from 1965 to 1967 and was stationed at the Pentagon. In 1967, he was promoted to rank of Captain in Intelligence and awarded the U.S. Army Commendation Medal. Following his military service, he taught U.S. History at the University of Maine in Portland (1967-1973).
Donald Q. Cannon joined the LDS Church History and Doctrine Faculty at Brigham Young University in 1973. He taught LDS Church History and Doctrine and Covenants, as well as other courses. He has published over seventy articles and book reviews and twenty books on LDS Church History and doctrine, including the Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings. He served as Associate Dean and Acting Dean of Religious Education at BYU. Cannon retired from BYU in 2007.
His LDS Church service includes high councilor, bishop, and a counselor in a stake presidency. He married JoAnn McGinnis in the Salt Lake Temple in 1960. They are the parents of six children: Brian (1961), Kelly and Sean (1964), Patrick (1971), Brendon (1973), and Erin (1974). He enjoys gardening, travel, and current events.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 6154
Cannon family journals and papers
Donald Q. Cannon research
Donald Q. Cannon teaching and instructional materials
Donald Q. Cannon professional organizations and activities
Donald Q. Cannon publications
Donald Q. Cannon photographs
Dates: date of production not identified
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts