Robert Hazen III papers
Robert Hazen III papers
The collection consists of scrapbook pages and assorted loose items of the personal and family history of Robert Hazen III. These include personal papers, photographs, certificates, and other memorials of the Robert Hazens Sr. and Jr., but consist mainly of those of Robert Hazen III (childhood memorabilia, priesthood ordination and ministry certificates and clippings, military enlistment and discharge forms, mission farewells and releases, correspondence, other certificates, news clippings, photographs, awards, Sadie's death certificate and funeral service transcript, transcript of his Patriarchal blessing, diary of his first Hawaiian mission, and one of Sadie's diaries).
- Extent: 4 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hazen, Robert, 1891-1969
- Call Number: MSS 6193
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Robert Hazen III papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS ; Robert Hazen III papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS , LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated; Donn Hazen Collins; 1988.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated by the creator's daughter, Donna Hazen Collins, after his death.
- Subject Terms
- Catmull, Sadie, 1898-1952; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Hazen family; Hazen, Robert, 1832-1928; Hazen, Robert, 1862-1955; Hazen, Robert, 1891-1969; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Genre / Form
- Family histories; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Katie Connors and Amanda Clark; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; LDS cultural, social, and religious history (collecting policy II.B.5.VI).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hazen (Robert III) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Katie Connors and Amanda Clark
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-03-28T09:57-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Robert Hazen III, 1891-1969, was a member of the Seventy of the LDS church and served missions to Hawaii.
Robert Hazen III, 1891-1969, was one of ten children of Robert Hazen Jr. and Edgaard Ottilie Schoenfeld of Salt Lake City. He served a mission to the Territory of Hawaii from 1912-1916, then as a corporal in the army during World War I. After an honorable discharge in 1919, he married Sadie Catmull in the Salt Lake Temple on 9 June 1920. Three daughters were later born to the couple, who settled in Ogden where Robert spent the next 30 years with the local postal service (9 of which he spent serving as president of the Utah Association of Letter Carriers). Robert was ordained a Seventy in February 1921, and later served as a temple worker and a member of the Ogden Seventeenth Ward bishopric. From 1955-1957, after the death of his first wife in December 1952, Robert served another LDS mission to Hawaii. In February 1958, he married Iona Davis Coombs, and spent the rest of his life home-teaching and serving on the local genealogical committee. He died of cancer on July 19, 1969.
comments powered by Disqus