Josephine Rigdon Secord letters
Josephine Rigdon Secord letters
The collection is a series of correspondence that occurred between 1965-1972 from Josephine Rigdon Secord to Arlene Hess. Arlene was researching Sidney Rigdon to help produce a publication in celebration of Friendship's Sesquicentennial and had asked Josephine (known as Jessie) to contribute any information she had concerning her grandfather. The correspondence shifted from the reluctance of Jessie to give out information to a warm friendship between the two women. Jessie opened up to Arlene about some of her personal impressions of Sidney Rigdon. Jessie continued to be somewhat reluctant to disclose information concerning her family and past but would occassionally disclose information in her letters. The first folder is the photocopied correspondence and the second folder is a bound collection of Jessie's typed letters with some related miscellaneous items compiled by Heather Kissinger Sorensen.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Secord, Josephine Rigdon, 1876-1974
- Call Number: MSS 6205
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Josephine Rigdon Secord letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6205; Josephine Jessie Rigdon Secord letters; 20th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6205, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Arlene Hess in 1994.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Arlene Hess; 1994.
- Subject Terms
- Hess, Arlene H.--Correspondence; Rigdon, Sidney, 1793-1876; Secord, Josephine Rigdon, 1876-1974--Correspondence; Home and Family; Material Types; Mormon women; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Family histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; Katie Connors, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- 1Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007) because it concerns Mormon history in the United States.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Secord (Josephine Rigdon) letters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Katie Connors; student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-12T04:01-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script
- Biographical Info:
Josephine Rigdon Secord was born 22 August 1876 to Sophia Cole and John Wicliffe Rigdon in Cuba, New York. She was the granddaughter of Sidney Rigdon. She grew up in New York, spent some time in Utah and died February 1974 in Florida.
comments powered by Disqus