Alexandre Tansman papers
Alexandre Tansman papers
Dates: approximately 1943
Collection contains four 10" and four 16" intact studio recording disks; one 10" disk cracked; three 16" disks broken; two 16" disks shattered; one CD of studio recordings of the score for the 1943 film Flesh and Fantasy, composed by Alexander Tansman.
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Tansman, Alexandre, 1897-1986
- Call Number: MSS 6235
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Arts & Communications Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Alexander Tansman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6235; Alexander Tansman papers; Arts and Communications Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6235, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Recordings made at Universal Studios for use in the film Flesh and Fantasy. The recording disks were acquired by Scott MacQueen, who transferred the playable disks to CD. MacQueen then donated the disks and the CD to the repository.
- Acquisition Information
- Scott MacQueen; August 2008.
- Genre / Form
- Long-playing records; Motion picture music
- Flesh and fantasy (Motion picture : 1943)
- Processing Information
- Processed; John N. Gillespie; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Arts and Communications.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Tansman (Alexander) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Finding aid prepared by John N. Gillespie, 2012
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-04-06T04:28-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Alexandre Tansman (1897-1986) was born in Lodz, in what is now Poland. He studied music at the Lodz Conservatory and received a law degree from the University of Warsaw. He moved to Paris, where he was mentored by Igor Stravinsky and Maurice Ravel, and where he was associated with the Ecole de Paris. He fled Europe in 1941, settling in Los Angeles, where he met Arnold Schoenberg. While in the United States he composed the scores for several motion pictures, including Flesh and Fantasy and Paris Underground, for which he received an Academy Award nomination. After the war he returned to Paris, where he died in 1986.
comments powered by Disqus