Lorymore Free papers
Lorymore Free papers
Dates: approximately 1925-1993
Contains professional and personal papers of Free, including articles, newspaper clippings, letters, photographs, reports, meeting minutes, maps, legal agreements, certificates, , and other papers. Materials primarily deal with his work as a geologist and prospector in the Western United States. His personal papers focus around his studies at Brigham Young University, including notebooks, assignments, and textbooks from his courses. Also includes documents related to his family. Many materials discuss his work for Beneficial Life. Dated circa 1925-1993.
- Extent: 11 cartons (11 linear ft.). -- 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.). -- 2 half boxes (0.5 linear ft.). -- 6 oversize boxes (7 linear ft.). -- 4 oversize folders (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Free, Lorymore
- Call Number: MSS 6687
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Donor restricted until 2032; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. Lorymore Free business papers, approximately 1939-1993. 2. Lorymore Free legal and personal papers, approximately 1925-1988. 3. Lorymore Free mining maps, 1955-1978.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Lorymore Free papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6687; Lorymore Free papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6687, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Helen Free Vanderbeek Kerr in 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Helen Free Vanderbeek Kerr; 2008.
- Subject Terms
- Agriculture and Natural Resources; Mines and Mineral Resources; Environment and Conservation; City and Town Life; Environmental Conditions; Mines and Mineral Resources--West (U.S.); Geology--West (U.S.); Free, Lorymore; Free, Lorymore--Archives; Free family; Beneficial Life Insurance Company
- Genre / Form
- Maps; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Articles; Letters; Photographs; Certificates
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles, Elizabeth Ballif and GlendaLynn Ainsworth, student processors, and John Murphy, curator; 2008. Addition processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, sutdent processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2012. Materials added and finding aid updated; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Free (Lorymore) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Melissa Cowles, student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-10-15 15:16:16 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Lorymore Free (1916-2006) was a prospector and geologist in Nevada and Utah.
Lorymore Free was born August 11, 1916, in Newhouse, Utah, to Wenlock Ammon and Rachel Dibley Wheeler Free. He was raised in Leadore, Idaho, and Pioche and Panaca, Nevada. He served in the Western States Mission and when he returned, married his high school sweetheart, Myrtle Joy Wadsworth, in the St. George Temple in 1940. He worked as a geologist and prospector, particularly in the mountains and valleys in Nevada and Utah. He also worked as a rancher and businessman and worked for Beneficial Life as an agent and manager. He was active in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served two missions with his wife, worked in the Provo Temple for many years, and served as the bishop of the Pleasant View 1st Ward. He died March 25, 2006.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 6687
Lorymore Free business papers
Dates: approximately 1939-1993
Lorymore Free legal and personal papers
Dates: approximately 1925-1988
Lorymore Free mining maps
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts