David Buttolph papers
David Buttolph papers
Contains copies of conductor scores by David Buttolph of motion pictures in hard and soft bound volumes. Most motion pictures were produced and distributed by Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation, with some from Warner Bros. and others. The scores date from 1941 to 1952.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Buttolph, David, 1902-1983
- Call Number: MSS 6734
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Arts & Communications Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the David Buttolph papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- Open for public research.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6734; David Buttolph papers; Film Music Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6734, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Brand Bookshop in March 1994.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Brand Bookshop; March 1994.
- Genre / Form
- Motion picture music; Scores
- Processing Information
- Processed; James V. D'Arc, curator; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Collection development policy of the Arts and Communications Archives.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Buttolph (David) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Kyle Bird
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-11-15 16:09:04 -0700.
- Biographical Info:
Biographical / Historical
David Buttolph was a Hollywood film composer who scored over 300 movies. He was born August 3, 1902 in New York City. He studied music in Vienna and New York and arrived in Hollywood in the mid 1930's. He there joined Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation but occassionally did outside assignments for other films. He then moved to Warner Bros. until 1951. Buttolph was known for his work on Westerns but also covered all types of subjects from musicals to horror. David died January 1, 1983 in Poway, California
comments powered by Disqus