Ralph W. Hansen papers
Ralph W. Hansen papers
Collection contains materials pertaining to the life and career of Ralph W. Hansen. Materials consist of an interview transcript, a booklet, and photographs which document his career as a librarian and archivist at several universities. His autobiography, Musings on the Life of Ralph W. Hansen, documents his personal and professional journey. Dated 1947-2014.
- Extent: 5 folders (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hansen, Ralph W.. -- Westwood, P. Bradford, 1957
- Call Number: MSS 6737
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Ralph W. Hansen papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6737; Ralph W. Hansen papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6737, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Acquired through an interview with Ralph Hansen and his wife Lillian June 26, 2006 by Brad Westwood. The photographs and booklet were also acquired during this interview. The autobiography was donated by Ralph W. Hansen in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ralph W. Hansen; 2007. Donated; Ralph W. Hansen; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Archivists--West (U.S.); Mormon authors--Autobiographies; Autobiography; Hansen, Ralph W.; Westwood, P. Bradford, 1957-; Hansen, Ralph W.--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Whitney Parry; 2009. Processed; Hannah Waddel; 2014. Processed; Erin Owens; January 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hansen (Ralph W.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Whitney Parry, student processer
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-09 16:31:02 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Ralph Hansen (1927- ) was a librarian at Brigham Young University, Stanford University, and Boise State University.
Ralph Hansen was born in 1927. He holds bachelor and master degrees in history from Brigham Young University and a master in library science from UC Berkeley. He was first appointed Curator of the Stanford Collection in 1962. He donated World War II memorabilia to a new museum in Italy, where Hansen was stationed in 1946. Ralph Hansen came to Boise State University in 1979 to be the associate university librarian. During his time at the library at Boise State, Hansen oversaw both technical and public services — jointly and separately at given times. In addition to serving in these roles, he also directed the momentous processing project of the Senator Frank Church Papers. Hansen’s fondness and enthusiasm for his work extended beyond collaboration with colleagues and patrons to a family effort including his wife, Lillian, who graciously volunteered her time in support of library projects. Following Hansen’s retirement in 1989, he continued working for the library as a volunteer, combing through publishers’ catalogs and academic journals to recommend books to purchase for the McCain Collection for Western Life. He also has supported the library with his gifts. Through his generous and loyal contributions of library resources and his genuine passion for learning and sharing knowledge, Hansen’s support of the library benefits students and staff alike.
P. Bradford Westwood (1957- ) is an archivist and historic preservationist in Utah.
P. Bradford Westwood grew up in Provo, Utah, and spent his summers on the Oregon coast. He received his Bachelor's Degree from Brigham Young University in American Studies in 1985 and his master's degree from the University of Pennsylvania in Historic Preservation in 1994. He was on the Board of Directors of the Brigham Young Academy Foundation from 1985 to 1989, and was one of the co-founders of the Foundation. He worked for the Brigham Young University's L. Tom Perry Special Collections and served as the assistant chair from 1997 to 2002, and chair from 2002 to 2008. In 2009 Brad became the Manager of Collection Development (museum, archives, and library) for the Historical Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 2013 he was appointed the director of the Utah Division of State History. He is the co-founder of the A. Dean Larsen Book Collectors Conference. His subject specialties include rare books and manuscripts, the administration of cultural repositories, architectural history (19th/20th Century American and European), and historic preservation.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Folder in MSS 6737
Ralph W. Hansen interview transcript
The imprint of the Stanford Libraries Associates
Ralph W. Hansen photographs
Musings on the life of Ralph W. Hansen / by Ralph W. Hansen
Musings on the life of Ralph W. Hansen
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives