Harry A. Dean journal
Harry A. Dean journal
This journal belonging to Harry A. Dean covers his life in the year 1986. He discusses and includes letters he has both written and received on the unveiling of the LDS Church's new hymn book, (which he contributed to), the rededication of the Manti Temple, the Samoan hymn book which he was appointed to supervise, the death his brother, including a copy of his obituary and funeral program. Harry also includes a condensed, typed life sketch, an expanded version of this sketch and his own obituary, (which he wrote pre-death).
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Dean, Harry A. (Harry Arnold), 1892-1987
- Call Number: MSS 6757
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Harry A. Dean journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6757; Harry A. Dean journal; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6757, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Harry A Dean in 1987.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Harry A. Dean; 1987.
- Related Material
- Diary, 1983 MSS SC 2249; Memoirs of Harry A. Dean BX 8670.1 .C345m; Papers, 1912-1979 MSS 1920.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Hymns; Dean, Harry A. (Harry Arnold), 1892-1987--Diaries; Manti Temple (Manti, Utah); Material Types
- Processing Information
- Processed; Karen Glenn; 26 February 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy of 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Dean (Harry A.) journal
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn, student processor and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-04-27T04:07-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Harry Arnold Dean (1892-1987) was a Brigham Young graduate musician who wrote several musical compositions, three of which was in the LDS hymn book.
Harry Arnold Dean was born 17 September 1892 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. He filled two missions to Samoa for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1914 and 1955 and translated the church's hymns into the Samoan language. Harry received his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Music from Brigham Young University. He taught music at Gila College in Thatcher, Arizona, Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho and Snow College, Ephraim, Utah. Harry wrote many musical compositions, three of which are found in the current LDS hymn books. He married Gladys Cutler on 28 July 1921 in Logan, Cache, Utah. They had seven children. Harry died 11 June 1987 in Provo, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus