S. Norman Lee mission journal
S. Norman Lee mission journal
Collection contains a bound volume of letters written by S. Norman Lee during his mission to England from 1909-1911. In general, the letters are addressed to his wife and discuss the life he experienced as a Latter-day Saint missionary. In his letters, Lee informs his wife that the letters addressed to her are, in fact, his mission journal and subsequently instructs her to keep them all so he will have a record of his time spent in England. After his mission, Lee had the letters bound so that they would be in journal form. During his mission, Lee was the associate editor of the "Millennial Star" and lived at the Durham House, a house which served as the mission headquarters. Lee returned from his mission in the spring of 1911.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lee, S. Norman (Severin Norman), 1875-1963
- Call Number: MSS 6761
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from S. Norman Lee mission journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6761; S. Norman Lee mission journal; 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6761, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Maintained by family until time of donation.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Scott Eldredge; 2009.
- Related Material
- See also: S. Norman Lee correspondence, 1902-1963 (MSS 4034; Harold B. Lee Library, Special Collections Department, Archival Manuscripts; Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah). See also: Papers, 1838-1963 (MSS 315; Harold B. Lee Library, Special Collections Department, Archival Manuscripts; Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah).
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--England; Lee, S. Norman (Severin Norman), 1875-1963--Correspondence; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--England
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lissa Bogart; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; Latter-day Saint twentieth century mission journal.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lee (S. Norman) mission journal
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lissa Bogart
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-02T04:01-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script
- Biographical Info:
S. Norman Lee (1875-1963) was a businessman in Brigham City, Utah.
Severin Norman Lee was born on October 4, 1875 in Brigham City, Utah. He served as a Mormon missionary and associate editor of the "Millennial Star" in England from 1909 to 1911. He later served as president of the Box Elder Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1936 to 1943, and patriarach of that stake from 1945 to his death in 1963. He married his wife Ida Knowlton in 1899, and together they had five children. Lee died in Orem, Utah on January 6, 1963, and was buried in Brigham City.
comments powered by Disqus