Martin Wilford Mangelson diaries
Martin Wilford Mangelson diaries
Contains two mission diaries that cover the mission of Martin Wilford Mangelson to Norway and Denmark. These diaries recount the experiences that he had with the people, the culture, the country, and the LDS church while he was there. The collection also contains two religious books: A hymnal in Danish, and The New Testament in Norwegian. There is also a postcard album that documents the places that he visited during his service as a missionary. Also included is a notebook of poetry and lyrics written by Mangelson. Dated 1902-1905.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Mangelson, Martin Wilford, 1880-1966
- Call Number: MSS 6763
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
English, Norwegian, and Danish.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Martin Wilford Mangelson diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6763; Martin Wilford Mangelson diaries; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6763, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Matthew Christensen, great-grandson of Martin Wilford Mangelson, in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Matthew Christensen; 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Denmark; Mormon missionaries--Norway; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Scandinavia; Mangelson, Martin Wilford, 1880-1966--Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Postcards
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator; 2010. Additional material processed; Itza Mostert, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator; 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and Western American cultural, family, social, intellectual, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy, v.1, May 2017).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Mangelson (Martin Wilford) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2017-09-02 15:35:15 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Martin Wilford Mangelson (1880-1966) was a Mormon merchant, farmer, and real estate broker in Utah.
Martin Wilford Mangelson was born February 23, 1880 in Levan, Utah to Charles Frederik Mangelson and Emma Eliza Nielsen Mangelson. From 1902 to 1905, he served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Norway and Denmark. On April 1, 1908, he married Margit Annette Christensen in the Salt Lake Temple. They had four children: Louis Charles Mangelson, Helen Louise Mangelson, Camilla Eliza Mangelson, and Sherma Margaret Mangelson. Over the course of his life, Mangelson worked as a merchant, farmer, and real estate broker. He died in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 2, 1966.
comments powered by Disqus