Edward Pulliam Carpenter papers
Edward Pulliam Carpenter papers
The Edward Pulliam Carpenter papers includes scrapbooks, an autobiography, certificates, awards, and other ephemera pertaining to his personal and professional life. The collection dates from 1870 (family letters from 1870s) to 1995. Much of the collection has to deal with Carpenter's family, career as an engineer and church life, in particular, with his service as a bishop.
- Extent: 6 cartons (6 linear ft.)
- Creator: Carpenter, Edward Pulliam
- Call Number: MSS 6782
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Edward Pulliam Carpenter papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6782; Edward Pulliam Carpenter papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6782, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Edward Pulliam Carpenter in 1995.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Edward Pulliam Carpenter; 1995.
- Subject Terms
- Carpenter family; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Bishops; Engineering; Families; Mormon missionaries
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Letters; Printed ephemera; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Katie Connors, student processor; John Murphy, curator; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts because of collection development policy 5.VII. “Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history."
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Carpenter (Edward Pulliam) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Katie Connors, student processor; John Murphy, curator; 2009.
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-02T04:02-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Edward Pulliam Carpenter (1919-1997) was a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that participated as an engineer at the Naval Undersea Research and Development Center.
Edward Pulliam Carpenter was born on 6 November 1919 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Edward attended the Unversity of California at Berkley where he received his degree from engineering. In 1943 he was a part of the Navy Department Bureau of Ships. He was impressed with the calibar of the Mormon young people he encountered and converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in December of 1944. He married Norma Jackson on 16 March 1945. They served a mission together to the South Carolina Columbia mission starting in June of 1983. Edward Carptenter served as a bishop. He also was part of the engineer effort of the Naval Undersea Research and Development Center. He died on 5 February 1997.
comments powered by Disqus