John L. Smith papers
John L. Smith papers
Contains seven journals, and other autobiographical manuscripts. Photocopies are also included. There is also a bound typescript volume of an autobiography/journal. The journals include accounts of persecutions in Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois; pioneering in Utah; his two missions to Europe; and service as president of the Swiss-Italian and the Swiss-Italian-German missions. There is also a contemporary account of the cricket-and-seagull episode in Salt Lake in 1848; his service as a member of the Territorial Legislature; the St. George Temple dedication and his work in the temple; and records of Church work and meetings, including work with his brother, George A. Smith, in the Church Historian's Office, and attendance at the School of the Prophets. Also includes photocopies and a few originals of church and professional papers; correspondence; and family papers, including some of his father, John Smith (1781-1854), an earlier LDS Church Patriarch.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, John L. (John Lyman), 1828-1898
- Call Number: MSS 680
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: The originals are restricted because of condition. Please use photocopies.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 680; John L. Smith papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 680, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS680.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Apostles--History; School of the Prophets; Smith, George Albert, 1817-1875; Smith, John L. (John Lyman), 1828-1898--Archives; Smith, John, 1781-1854; St. George Temple (Saint George, Utah); Utah. Legislature; Religion; Germany--History; Italy--History; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Europe--History; Mormon Church--Missions--Italy--History; Mormon Church--Missions--Swiss and Italian; Mormon Church--Missions--Swiss, Italian, and German; Mormon Church--Missions--Switzerland--History; Mormon pioneers--Utah--History--19th century; Mormons--Illinois--Nauvoo--History; Mormons--Utah--History
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Certificates; Diaries; Genealogies; Histories; Letters; Photocopies; Wills
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (John L.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-02T04:27-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Smith was an early LDS Church member, first cousin of Joseph Smith (1805-1844), and younger brother of George A. Smith. He was a Church patriarch and mission president, and served as a delegate to the Utah Territorial Legislature.
comments powered by Disqus