Delmont King Smith family biographies
Delmont King Smith family biographies
Contains two biographical works on the Smith family. Includes pedigrees, family group sheets, maps, and photographs on ancestors, initially in England and later in Utah and Idaho. Includes detailed information on Velva Lee Stokes Smith. Materials date from between 2008 and 2013.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, Delmont King. -- Gowen, Erin Marie
- Call Number: MSS 6805
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Privacy restricted until death of donor. Permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Delmont King Smith family stories must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6805; Delmont King Smith family stories; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6805, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Cynthia Ann Smith in installments between 2009 and 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Cynthia Ann Smith; 2009. Donated; Cynthia Ann Smith; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Mormon pioneers--Idaho; England--Emigration and immigration; Mormon pioneers--Utah; Family histories; Smith, Delmont King; Gowen, Erin Marie; Smith family; Smith, Velva Lee, 1926-1993
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Genealogies
- Processing Information
- Cynthia Ann Smith, manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2009. Processing completed by Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013. Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (Delmont King) family biographies
- Finding Aid Author
- Cynthia Ann Smith
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-06-03 16:42:16 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Delmont King Smith (born 1927) is a chemist and genealogist.
Delmont King Smith was born June 9, 1927 in Pocatello, Idaho. He grew up in Dillon, Montanta, served in the U.S. Navy from 1945-1946, and married Velva Lee Stokes in September, 1946. He has a Bachelors and Masters in chemistry from Utah State Agricultural College, now Utah State University, and a Doctorate from Purdue University. He spent most of his professional life in New Jersey and Massachusetts, but returned to Arizona and Utah for his retirement, during which he has developed an interest in his genealogy and family history.
Erin Marie Gowen is a freelance photographer in Utah.
Erin Marie Smith is the granddaughter of Delmont King and Velva Lee Stokes Smith. She earned an associate's degree from Brigham Young University-Idaho in 2005, and then studied sociology at Brigham Young University. She married Sean Gowen, and they moved to Moab, Utah in 2011.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Folder in MSS 6805
Our ancestors / prepared by Delmont King Smith
Memories of Velva Lee / compiled by Erin Marie Gowen
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts