Joseph Y. Haight mission papers
Joseph Y. Haight mission papers
The Joseph Y. Haight mission papers include several types of materials used by Haight during his mission to the island of Tahiti from 1899 to 1902. The collection contains photographs of Tahitian missionaries, scenery, and people. It also contains a missionary Bible, used by Haight during his three years in Tahiti. In this Bible, there are multiple personal notes written by Haight in both English and Tahitian, listing references and spiritual realizations. The Latter-day Saint Articles of Faith are also pasted into the front of Haight's mission Bible. Among these personal effects, the Joseph Young Haight mission papers also include a Tahitian dictionary, several books, and a hardcover book put together by Haight's descendants to commemorate Haight's experiences as a missionary in Tahiti.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Haight, Joseph Y. (Joseph Young), 1865-1946
- Call Number: MSS 6940
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Joseph Y. Haight mission papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6940; Joseph Y. Haight mission papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6940, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Collection maintained by the descendants of Joseph Y. Haight until the time of donation in July 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Kendal Brian Hunter; 2008.
- Related Material
- See also the Eli Holton letters (MSS 2277) and the Joseph Y. Haight collection (MSS 1687).
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--French Polynesia--Tahiti (Island)--History--19th century; Haight, Joseph Y. (Joseph Young), 1865-1946; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--French Polynesia--Tahiti (Island)--Photographs
- Genre / Form
- Books; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lissa Bogart; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western & Mormon Americana; materials relating to a Latter-day Saint missionary who served at the turn of the century, starting in 1899.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Haight (Joseph Y.) mission papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lissa Bogart
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-08T09:31-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Joseph Y. Haight (1865-1946) was a teacher and civil servant in Utah and Idaho. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Tahiti.
Joseph Y. Haight was born in Farmington, Utah, 9 October 1865. At the age of 34, Haight left the United States to serve a Latter-day Saint mission to the island of Tahiti. During his mission, from 1900 to 1902, Haight became the president of the Society Islands Mission. Following his mission, Haight returned to the Utah area where he worked as a teacher, county clerk, postmaster, and government revenue collector. He died in Oakley, Idaho, 14 November 1846 at the age of 81.
comments powered by Disqus