Vontella Hess Kimball papers
Vontella Hess Kimball papers
Dates: 1862-1965, bulk 1947-1965
Collection includes Brigham Young University memos and correspondence, speeches, collected articles and clippings and other articles relating to her position in University Relations department at the university. Dates of collected materials span from about 1862 to 1965.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kimball, Vontella Hess, 1906-1971
- Call Number: MSS 6960
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
Englishwith some collected brochures in German.
- Collection arranged in three series: 1.Vontella Hess Kimball papers on University Relations Division, 1955-1963. 2. Vontella Hess Kimball research papers, 1862-1965. 3. Vontella Hess Kimball drafts of lectures and speeches, 1957-1964.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Vontella Hess Kimball papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 6960; Vontella Hess Kimball papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 6960, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Marilyn M. Brown in 2009. Donated by Marilyn M. Brown in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Marilyn M. Brown; 2009. Donated; Marilyn M. Brown; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Kimball, Vontella Hess, 1906-1971; Brigham Young University. University Relations Division--History; Brigham Young University--Honor system--History
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Memorandums
- Processing Information
- Processed; GlendaLynn Ainsworth, student processor; June 2009. Addendum Added; Eric Wolford, student processor; February 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VI, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kimball (Vontella Hess) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- GlendaLynn Ainsworth
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-05-18 13:46:53 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Vontella Hess Kimball (1906-1971) was the great-granddaughter to Church leader Heber C. Kimball who was known for her classes on cosmetic techniques, a traveler to New Testament Biblical sites, and as a member of the University Relations Department of Brigham Young University from 1963-1964.
Vontella Hess Kimball was born in Farmington, Utah on January 31, 1906 to David Cornelius and Lois Kimball Hess. She was a great-granddaughter of Heber C. Kimball, a noted pioneer of the Mormon Church. Vontella married Stanley H. Buchholz in 1926. The couple had one son: Stanley. She married Richard H. Kimball in 1938. When Vontella was seventeen years of age she enrolled at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and was employed in the cosmetics department of Auerbach's, a local department store.
In 1935, through her work, Vontella took her first trip abroad to deepen her knowledge of cosmetic techniques. Vontella often lectured on etiquette and beauty at business and social clubs, and she also gave classes at colleges, including Brigham Young University.
In the course of her work, she visited Europe and the Middle East many times between 1935 and 1966. Vontella was impressed with the Arab world and the locations of the New Testament. Vontella worked in the University Relations department at Brigham Young University about 1963 to 1964. On September 26, 1971 she passed away.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 6960
Vontella Hess Kimball papers on University Relations Division
Vontella Hess Kimball research papers
Dates: 1862-1965----bulk 1947-1965
Vontella Hess Kimball drafts of lectures and speeches
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts