Harold G. Connell papers
Harold G. Connell papers
Collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, correspondence, memorabilia, medical records, music, research notes, and family histories. The materials document Connell's personal and professional lives, including his service as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Palestine, Syria, Mission. Materials date from 1947 to 1967.
- Extent: 10 cartons (10 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (1.33 linear ft.). -- 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Connell, Harold G. (Harold Gregory), 1925-2005
- Call Number: MSS 7010
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Materials left in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Harold G. Connell papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7010; Harold G. Connell papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7010, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Richard O. and Cynthia W. Connell in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Richard O. and Cynthia W. Connell; 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Lebanon; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Syria; Connell family; Connell, Harold G. (Harold Gregory), 1925-2005--Archives; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Lebanon; Mormon Church--Missions--Syria; Mormon missionaries--Lebanon--History--Sources; Mormon missionaries--Syria--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Artifacts; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters; Scrapbooks; Sheet music
- Processing Information
- Processed by GlendaLynn Ainsworth, Audrey Spainhower, and Elizabeth Ballif, student processors, and John M. Murphy, curator.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.) Documents the personal and professional life of Harold G. Connell, a Mormon music professor.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Connell (Harold G.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-10-20T17:53-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Harold G. Connell (1925-2005) was a music instructor in the District of Columbia area.
Harold Gregory Connell was born December 5, 1925, in Putnam Valley, New York, to Thomas Connell and Ruth Edna Mae Lloyd Connell. During the Second World War, he served in the United States Army Air Corp. After the war, he served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Lebanon. Following the completion of his mission, he attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He graduated from BYU with a Bachelors degree in Music in 1954 and a Masters degree in Music in 1959.
In 1955, Harold Connell married Norma Kathleen Tovey in Salt Lake City, Utah. He had a successful career teaching music in the District of Columbia and Maryland. He and his wife had seven children: Ruth Connell Costea, Mary Connell Curtis, Daniel Connell, John Connell, Hal Connell, Richard Connell, and Jim Connell. Harold Gregory Connell died September 21, 2005, in Great Falls, Montana. He was preceded in death by his wife, who died October 9, 2002.
comments powered by Disqus