Hatch family papers
Hatch family papers
Contains mainly ephemera from the campaign of Frances Hatch Merrill. This includes newspaper clippings, campaign information, photographs, and election pamphlets, mainly dating from the 1980s. There is also the same type of materials but in a lesser quantity for Orrin Hatch, from around the same time period. Also included in the collection are the Christmas and greeting cards of Helen Kamm Hatch, mother of Orrin and Frances Hatch.
- Extent: 2 oversize boxes (1.5 linear ft.). -- 1 half box (0.3 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hatch family
- Call Number: MSS 7085
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Organized in three series: I. Election pamphlets, 1983, 1988. II. Clippings on Orrin Hatch and Frances H. Merrill, 1983. III. Helen Kamm Hatch greeting cards, 1977-1995.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Hatch family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7085; Hatch family papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7085, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Dawn Merrill in June 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Dawn Merrill; June 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- More detailed finding aid available in repository upon request.
- Subject Terms
- Hatch family; Political Campaigns; Political campaigns--Utah--History--Sources; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Printed ephemera
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah Political History (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.I, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hatch family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-11T04:01-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
The Hatch family is descended from Utah pioneers, and includes politicians Orrin Hatch and Frances Hatch Merrill. Their parents, Jesse and Helen Hatch, raised the family in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Jesse Hatch (1904-1992) worked as a lather, and served as president for the local branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The family later moved back to Utah, where children Orrin and Frances became involved in politics. Frances Hatch Merrill (b. 1939) served in the Utah legislature, and Orrin Hatch (b. 1934) has served as the United States Senator for Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in MSS 7085
Clippings on Orrin Hatch and Frances H. Merrill
Helen Kamm Hatch greeting cards
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts