Yesharah Society records

Yesharah Society records

Dates: 1928-2011

The Yesharah Society records contain items created by and collected by the society in the course of its operations. These items include a constitution and by-laws of the organization, correspondence, meeting minutes, pamphlets and programs, newspaper clippings and articles, scrapbooks, histories and biographies, music, and photos. The records come from the two Provo Chapters, Orem, Logan, and Salt Lake. The society was founded in Provo, Utah, in 1929 and the records go up to nearly the present day. Dated circa 1928-2011.

  • Extent: 10 boxes (5 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize (2.50 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Yesharah Society
  • Call Number: MSS 730
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
The collection has been arranged into eight series: 1. Yesharah Society history, constitution, and by-laws, 1929-1976. 2. Yesharah Society Provo chapter 1, 1929-1994. 3. Yesharah Society Provo chapter 2, 1959-1983. 4. Yesharah Society Orem chapter, 1974-2004. 5. Yesharah Society Salt Lake chapter, 1949-1950. 6. Yesharah Society Logan chapter, 1929-2009. 7. Yesharah Society sheet music, 1929-2009. 8. Yesharah Society miscellaneous ephemera, 1959-1962.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Yesharah Society records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: MSS 730; Yesharah Society records; 20th & 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5972, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Donated by the Yesharah Societies.
Acquisition Information
Donated; Yesharah Societies.
Related Material
Bates, Elizabeth Baer Fetzer. Yesharah organization collection Salt Lake chapter. Salt Lake City, The Club. Located in the LDS Church Archives: MS 10360, access no. 136759-ARCH.
Subject Terms
Yesharah Society--Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon women missionaries; Mormon women--Utah--History
Genre / Form
Business records
Processing Information
Processed; John M. Murphy. Processed; Nicole Humphries; May-June 2006. Processed; Cynthia Ann Smith; March-April 2009. Addition processed by Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012.
Appraisal Information
LDS, Utah, and Western American women (20th and 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.V, 2007).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_MSS730
Finding Aid Title
Yesharah Society records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Cynthia Ann Smith, manuscript intern; Nichole Humphries, manuscripts intern; and John M. Murphy, curator.
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-12-26T08:55-0700
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Yesharah Society is an institution intended to provide returned sister missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opportunities to continue acts of service and kindness in their communities.

In 1928 the first organization of lady returned missionaries was founded at the home of Inez Knight. The first members of this organization consisted of the first female missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The name given to this newly formed society was Yesharah, meaning up-rightness and integrity. Since the founding of the Yesharah Society many other chapters have been formed throughout the state of Utah.

The Yesharah Society was formed with the express purpose of perpetuating the missionary spirit and to allow its members to give service within the community as well as to promote love, unity and precious friendships within the society. Service included: visiting the sick, writing to missionaries in the mission field, visiting convalescent homes and hospitals, supporting children’s institutions, visiting the families of those away at war, and donating membership histories and books to the Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. The Society continues to exist.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series I in MSS 730

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

John Murphy
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts
john_m_murphy@byu.edu