Davis Bitton papers
Davis Bitton papers
Contains items primarily created by or about Davis Bitton while a professor of history at the University of Utah and while Assistant Church Historian. Research notes from his many projects are included in the collection, as well as correspondence between him and his family and other colleagues. Much of his life's work as church historian is included in this collection. Materials date from between 1834 and 2007.
- Extent: 42 cartons (42 linear ft.). -- 6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bitton, Davis, 1930-2007
- Call Number: MSS 7441
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Series 1-12: Open for public research. Series 13: Donor restricted until 2030; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
- Arranged into thirteen archival series: 1. Davis Bitton general professional papers, 1958-1999. 2. Davis Bitton professional correspondence, 1960-2007. 3. Davis Bitton papers on history, 1889-2003. 4. Davis Bitton papers on European history, 1834-2007. 5. Davis Bitton papers on Mormon history, 1845-2006. 6. Davis Bitton papers on George Q. Cannon, 1834-1998. 7. Davis Bitton papers on Lyman Wight, 1849-1996. 8. Davis Bitton papers on social history of Utah, 1889-1996. 9. Davis Bitton research papers, 1974-2007. 10. Davis Bitton general personal papers, 1940-2002. 11. Davis Bitton papers personal correspondence, 1948-1999. 12. Davis Bitton papers multimedia, 1972-1990. 13. Davis Bitton personal diaries, 1940-2007.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Davis Bitton papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7441; Davis Bitton papers; 20th Century Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7441, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Created and kept by David Bitton through out his life. Inherited by JoAnn Bitton, Davis Bitton's widow upon his death in 2007. Donated by JoAnn Bitton to BYU Special Collections.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Bitton family; 2007.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; France--History; Educators--Utah; Church historians; Bitton, Davis, 1930-2007; Bitton, Davis, 1930-2007--Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Historical Department
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Notes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Cindy Ann Smith, 2010 and Peter Hoyt, student processors and John Murphy, curator; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.III, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bitton (Davis) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Cynthia Ann Smith
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-06-28 15:11:20 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- English and French
- Biographical Info:
Davis Bitton (1930-2007) was a Mormon historian who lived in Utah.
Davis Bitton was born in Blackfoot, Idaho, on February 22, 1930 to Ronald Wayne Bitton and Lola Davis Bitton. He served a Mormon mission to France from 1950-1953. After serving in the United States Army during the Korean War, he graduated with a BA in History from Brigham Young University. He then received an MA in 1958 and a PhD in French History in 1961 from Princeton University. Dr. Bitton taught history at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas until 1964 when he went to the University of California in Santa Barbara. Finally, he was a professor of history at the University of Utah from 1966 until his retirement in 1995. In addition to French history, Dr. Bitton also made important contributions to Latter-day Saint history. He served as Assistant LDS Church Historian under Leonard Arrington from 1972-1982. He also served as a guide on temple square with his wife, JoAnn. Davis Bitton died April 13, 2007, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7441
Davis Bitton general professional papers
Davis Bitton professional correspondence
Davis Bitton papers on history
Davis Bitton papers on European history
Davis Bitton papers on Mormon history
Davis Bitton papers on George Q. Cannon
Davis Bitton papers on Lyman Wight
Davis Bitton papers on social history of Utah
Davis Bitton research papers
Davis Bitton general personal papers
Davis Bitton personal correspondence
Davis Bitton multimedia papers
Davis Bitton personal diaries
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts