L. Douglas Smoot papers
L. Douglas Smoot papers
Collection includes correspondence, articles, awards, photographs, and other memorabilia that document Smoot's professional, religious, and family life from 1907 to 2011. The collection consists mostly of purposefully compiled scrapbooks that are organized by year rather than by content.
- Extent: 7 cartons (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smoot, L. Douglas (Leon Douglas)
- Call Number: MSS 7504
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Donor restricted until 2034; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from L. Douglas Smoot papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7504; L. Douglas Smoot papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7504, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by L. Douglas Smoot.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; L. Douglas Smoot; 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- More detailed finding aid available in the repository upon request.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Politics, Government, and Law; Smoot, L. Douglas (Leon Douglas); Smoot family; Brigham Young University. College of Engineering and Technology--History; Smoot, L. Douglas (Leon Douglas)--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Scrapbooks; Photographs
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smoot (L. Douglas) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-03-02 11:47:57 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
L. Douglas Smoot (born 1934) an engineering professor and researcher in Utah.
Leon Douglas Smoot was born in Provo, Utah in 1934. He grew up in Springville, Utah. He attended Brigham Young University (BYU) as an undergraduate from 1952 to 1957. He married Marian Bird in 1953. Smoot taught at BYU beginning in 1967 and was department chairman from 1970-1977, Dean of Engineering and Technology from 1977 through 1994, and Director of the Advanced Combustion Research Engineering Center (ACERC) from its beginning in 1986 to 1997. He retired from BYU in 2006. In 1985, he participated in a research competition which resulted in the awarding of a grant to start ACERC. Smoot ran the Center for twelve years. He also worked for Lockheed, Boeing, and the California Institute of Technology, researching energy and combustion. In 1995, he was set apart as an Area Authority of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Utah South Area, and was ordained to the fifth Quorum of the Seventy in 1997. Smoot is also known for his work on restoring Brigham Young Academy, from 1995 to its dedication in 2001. He wrote a book on his work, entitled "The Miracle at Academy Square." He is a descendant of Abraham O. Smoot.
comments powered by Disqus