LeGrand Baker papers
LeGrand Baker papers
Contains the professional and personal papers of LeGrand Baker, dating from 1955 to 2009. These include professional and personal written and e-mail correspondence, family ephemera, his published and unpublished writings, and other materials.
- Extent: 38 cartons (38 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Baker, LeGrand
- Call Number: MSS 7518
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Privacy restricted until 2075; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in five series: 1. LeGrand Baker published works. 2. LeGrand Baker personal history and correspondence. 3. LeGrand Baker unpublished manuscripts. 4. LeGrand Baker professional papers. 5. LeGrand Baker papers on Book of Mormon project.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the LeGrand Baker papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7518; LeGrand Baker papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7518, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by LeGrand Baker in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; LeGrand Baker; 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- More detailed finding aid available in repository upon request.
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Education; Colleges and Universities; Historians--Utah; Baker, LeGrand--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Manuscripts, American; Printed ephemera
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- This collection provides insight into the life of a professor at Brigham Young University and what life was like during the 20th Century. Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Baker (LeGrand) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Elizabeth Ballif, student processor and John Murphy, curator.
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-08-08 15:47:44 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
LeGrand Baker (b. 1937) is a historian in Utah. He taught at Brigham Young University, and also served as the curator of the Wells Freedom Archives.
LeGrand L. Baker was born on his grandfather's ranch in Boulder, Utah, in 1937, and grew up on a small dairy farm in Utah County. He served an LDS mission in England. After graduating from Brigham Young University (BYU) he received a Master's degree and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, in American History—the period of the American Revolution and the writing of the Constitution. He is now retired from BYU where he had been Curator of the Wells Freedom Archives and adjunct professor of history. At BYU he taught American Constitutional History, and especially enjoyed teaching a Book of Mormon class for returned missionaries. His articles have appeared in the Improvement Era and the Ensign, and he is the author of Murder of the Mormon Prophet, the Political Prelude to the Death of Joseph Smith, and Joseph and Moroni, the history of the friendship between young Joseph and the angel who taught him to be a prophet. In 2009, he, with coauthor Stephen D. Ricks, published Who Shall Ascend into the Hill of the Lord? The Psalms in Israel's Temple Worship In the Old Testament and In the Book of Mormon. It is a study of the temple drama used in ancient Israel at the time of Solomon's Temple. He and his wife, Marilyn, have four children and fourteen grandchildren.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7518
LeGrand Baker published works
LeGrand Baker personal history and correspondence
LeGrand Baker unpublished manuscripts
LeGrand Baker professional papers
LeGrand Baker papers on Book of Mormon project
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts