Heinrich Tönnies collection
Heinrich Tönnies collection
Dates: approximately 1880-1905
Collection includes 498 photographs taken by Heinrich Tønnies in Denmark. They are mostly portraits of Mormon missionaries in Denmark and Mormon immigrants from Denmark. There are also three bound booklets written by Sharon Hintze in 2002 entitled "Faith in their faces: 19th centry photographs of Danish Mormons" (with Appendix one and two). Also included is an index for an item level description of all the photographs along with 145 photocopied photographs.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Tönnies, Heinrich, 1825-1903
- Call Number: MSS 7544
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Photograph Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in
- Technical Requirements
- Kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
- Maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. The photographs from the Heinrich Tönnies collection cannot be photocopied. Patrons can be directed to the Aalborg Stadsarkiv website where they can order prints.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7544; Heinrich Tönnies collection; Photograph Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7544, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These photographs are part of a larger collection of Henrich Tønnies photographs housed at the Aalborg State Archives. This portion of photographs was purchased by FARMS as a joint effort with BYU Special Collections in 2000. The photographs were then lent to Richard Holzapfel who brought them to Special Collections.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Aalborg State Archives; 2000.
- Subject Terms
- Danes; Mormon missionaries--Denmark--Photographs; Mormons--Denmark--Photographs; Mormons--Emigration and immigration
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Portraits
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lionel Thomas; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Tönnies (Heinrich) collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lionel Thomas
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-09-04T12:45-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Heinrich To?nnies (1825-1903) was a German photographer who took portraits and landscapes.
Johan Georg Heinrich Ludwig Tönnies was born May 10, 1825 in Grünenplan, Germany. He was trained as a glass painter and cutter but moved to Denmark in 1855 and was taught photography. The photographers C. Fritsche in Aalborg (Berling) and Wilhelm Schrøder (Copenhagen) taught Tønnies how to do dagurreotypes and he opened a studio in Aalborg and also learned the carte de visite technique. He took mostly portraits of people in their work clothes and some landscapes. He died December 11, 1903.
comments powered by Disqus