John D. Hooper mission diaries
John D. Hooper mission diaries
Dates: bulk 1895, 1895-1962
Contains photocopies of the mission diaries of John D. Hooper while he served a Mormon mission to the Sandwich/Hawaiian Islands in the late 1890s. These journals document his experiences. There is also a booklet included entitled “Memoirs and Life of John D. Hooper”. This book tells his heritage and life story. There is also a photocopy of his obituary.
- Extent: 4 folders (0.4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hooper, John D. (John Douglass), 1873-1963
- Call Number: MSS 7575
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
EnglishEnglish. One journal entry is in HawaiianHawaiian.
- Collection left in original order. They are arranged in the order that John D. Hooper arranged them, by journal.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the John D. Hooper mission diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7575; John D. Hooper mission journals; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7575, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Hans and Ruth Mussler in 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Hans and Ruth Mussler; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Hawaii Mission; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Hawaii; Hooper, John D. (John Douglass), 1873-1963; Religion; Diaries; Material Types; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Hawaii
- Genre / Form
- Obituaries--United States
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Tells of a Utah missionary in Hawaii. 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hooper (John D.) mission diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:08-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John Douglass Hooper was born on November 10, 1873, in Hooper, Utah, to John Wilkie and Elizabeth Ann Douglass Hooper. He spent much of his life in Hooper. In 1895, he served an LDS mission to Hawaii. Upon returning, he married Ellen Child in the Salt Lake Temple on December 21, 1899. She died April 27, 1912. In 1915, he served a mission to England, and he served until 1918, through the duration of much of the First World War. He married Joanna Minnie Weaver in the Salt Lake Temple. She died November 22, 1928. He married Leota Embling, also in the Salt Lake Temple on March 31, 1937. He served a second mission to Hawaii in 1938. He taught school, farmed, sold cars, and served as the county president of the Weber Soil Conservation District and the secretary of the Utah Association of Soil Conservation Districts. He had four children. He died October 18, 1963.
comments powered by Disqus