Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers
Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers
Dates: circa 1919-1928
Collection contains photocopies of missionary diaries of Emmett R. Hayes during his Mormon mission as the thirteenth missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter post-WWI Germany. Also contained are a series of photocopied outgoing letters from Emmett Hayes during this period to his family, primarily his parents. A small collection of mission-related ephemera is contained.
- Extent: 1 half box (0.25 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hayes, Emmett R.
- Call Number: MSS 7586
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Location of Originals
- Originals of this collection remain with the donor.
- Materials are left in their original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7586; Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7586, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Emmett Hayes in 2004. Donated by Emmett Hayes in 2011.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Emmett Hayes; 2004. Donated; Emmett Hayes; 2011.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Germany--History--20th century; Hayes, Emmett R.; Religion; Germany--Church history--20th century; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Letters; Photocopies; Printed ephemera
- Processing Information
- Processed: Nicholas Walker, student manuscript processor; 2009. Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts). Illustrates missionary life in post-WWI Germany.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hayes (Emmett R.) missionary papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Nicholas Walker, student manuscript processor; Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:04-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Emmett Richards Hayes (1900-1973) became the thirteenth Mormon missionary to enter Germany directly after World War I.
Emmett Richards Hayes was born October 17, 1900, in Pleasant Grove, Utah. His parents were William Lehi Hayes and Harriet Asenath Richards. Hayes became the thirteenth missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter Germany directly after World War I. Hayes married Myrtle Adelhi Johnson on September 7, 1929, in Tijuana, Baja, California Norte, Mexico. Emmett R. Hayes died on May 16, 1973, in Los Angeles, California.
comments powered by Disqus