The book of gold
The book of gold
Contains the music and lyrics for the 2-act opera "The Book of Gold," written for the 2005 celebration of Joseph Smith Jr.'s birth. The opera lyrics were written by Glen Nelson, and the music was written by Murray Boren. It was performed at Brigham Young University, and tells part of the story of Joseph Smith.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Boren, Murray. -- Nelson, Glen Almon, 1961
- Call Number: MSS 7590
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Materials left in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from The book of gold must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7590; The book of gold; 21st Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7590, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Kristina Fife in 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Kristina Fife; 2008.
- Subject Terms
- Smith, Joseph, 1805-1844; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (21st Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Book of gold
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-11-02T17:04-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Glen Almon Nelson (b. 1961) is a poet and librettist in Utah.
Glen Almon Nelson has written three operas, two cantatas, and five sets of art songs with Murray Boren. His poetry and essays have been published in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought and in Silent Notes Taken. As director of Mormon Artists Group, he has published twelve projects with nearly seventy-five Mormon artists which have been acquired by private collectors and public institutions worldwide.
Murray Boren (b. 1950) is a composer and educator in Utah.
Murray Boren received his B.M. and M.M. from Brigham Young University and his D.M.A. at City University of New York. He served as acting department head and Lecturer in Music at the University of Nsukka College of Education in Uyo, Nigeria from 1979-1980, before returning to teach composition and theory at Brigham Young University (BYU) from 1980-1984. He spent the next decade in administrative duties at City University of New York and then New York University. Boren returned to BYU in 1994 where he is an instructor of composition and theory, and since 1999, was Composer in Residence.
comments powered by Disqus