Gates family recordings
Gates family recordings
Collection includes Edison cylinder recordings and cassette tapes. The recordings appear to be family-oriented and include songs and stories about family members. The collection dates circa 1915.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Gates family
- Call Number: MSS 7627
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection has been kept in its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Gates family recordings must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7627; Gates family recordings; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU. Following citations: MSS 7627, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Florence-Marie Gates Stamm in 1980.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 1980; Florence-Marie Gates Stamm.
- Subject Terms
- Gates family; Material Types; Music; Sound Recordings
- Genre / Form
- Cylinder recordings
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kiren Dulai, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- This collection provides insight into the Gates family. Collected in 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gates family recordings
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kiren Dulai
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:12-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Gates family have strong ties to Brigham Young through Susa Young who married Jacob F. Gates. Jacob F. Gates and Susa Young had eleven children together however not all of them reached adulthood. Emma Lucy Gates Bowen and Brigham Cecil Gates were both extremely musically talented and togehter ran a touring opera company. They also had their own personal endeavors; Brigham Cecil Gates was one of the founding fathers of the LDS School of Music and Emma Lucy Gates Bowen is a noted American Opera Singer. Leah Gates went on to become a writer and married John A. Widstoe, an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Franklin Gates has previously taught Chemistry but is known as a legendary figure within the early days of radio.
comments powered by Disqus