Harry A. Dean scrapbook
Harry A. Dean scrapbook
Photocopy of a scrapbook assembled by Dean, containing materials from 1892 to 1986. Scrapbook includes correspondence, photographs, a biography, and other information relating to Harry A. Dean.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Dean, Harry A. (Harry Arnold), 1892-1987
- Call Number: MSS 7628
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- The collection has been maintained in its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Harry A. Dean scrapbook must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7628; Harry A. Dean scrapbook; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU. Following citations: MSS 7628, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Harry A. Dean in 1987.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Harry A. Dean; 1987.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Hymns; Dean, Harry A. (Harry Arnold), 1892-1987; Material Types; Music; Samoa; Scrapbooks
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kiren Dulai, student processor and John Murphy, curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- This collection provides insight into 20th century life. Collected in Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Dean (Harry A.) scrapbook
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kiren Dulai
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-08T09:39-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Harry A. Dean (1892-1987) was a professor of music in Utah.
Dean was born on September 17, 1892 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was an active member within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served two missions for the church, the first in 1914, and second in 1955. For both of his missions, he was sent to Samoa and became knowledgable of the language allowing him to translate the church's hymns into the Samoan language. Harry attended Brigham Young University where he studied Music, obtaining both his Bachelor's and Master's degrees. Following this, he taught at several different colleges including Snow College in Ephraim, Utah. He was also known for the many musical compositions which he wrote, many of which may be found in LDS hymn books. Harry married Gladys Cutler on July 28, 1921 and they had seven children together. Harry A. Dean died June 11, 1987 in Provo, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus