Department of Geography slides
Department of Geography slides
Dates: bulk 1965-1976, 1965-1993
Collection has 7344 items with 7331 of them being slides. The collection contains teaching aids and slides of different parts of the world. Box 6 contains 22 housed 35mm filmstrips and 9 cassette tapes.
- Extent: 10 boxes (5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: MSS 7649
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Photograph Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into two series: Series 1: Department of Geography teaching slides 1965-1993; Series 2: Department of Geography slides of the world 1965-1993.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearance. Permission to publish material from the Department of Geography slides held in the L. Tom Perry Special Collections at Brigham Young University must be obtained in writing from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7649; Department of Geography slides; Photograph Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7649, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by the Brigham Young University Geography Department in 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Brigham Young University Geography Department; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Geography--Study and teaching--Audio-visual aids; Images; Material Types
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Filmstrips; Slides (Photography)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lionel Thomas, student photograph processor; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Geography slides
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lionel Thomas
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-11-20T16:39-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Geography was a part of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences during its time of operation from 1955 to 1965. It then became a part of the newly established College of Social Sciences and remained so until 1981 when it became a part of the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences. The Department of Geography has been under the direction of chairmen Elliot Tuttle (1955-58), Albert L. Fisher (1959-1960), Robert L. Layton (1961-1965; 1968-1981), Floyd Millet (1966-1968); Russell N. Horiuchi (1981-1989); Dale J. Stevens (1989-1995); Richard H. Jackson (1995-2001); J. Matthew Shumway (2001-present).
The Department of Geography provided instruction to those wishing to build a vast cultural education around a primary interest in geography and the understanding of the world and its problems. Courses offered included Geography in World Affairs, Geography of Climates, Industrial Geography, Urban Geography and Geography of Underdeveloped Areas.
The Department of Geography functions under the administration of a department chair under the direction of the college dean. During its existence, the department has been under the direction of the deans of and parts of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (1955-1965), the College of Social Sciences (1965-1981), and part of the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences (1981- ).
Citation: Harold B. Lee Library University Organizational History Project, website viewed Nov. 12, 2010 (History of the Department of Geography).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7649
Department of Geography teaching slides
Department of Geography slides of the world
Help with this Collection
Curator - Photograph Archives