Robert Lewis Johnson papers
Robert Lewis Johnson papers
Collection consist of twenty-five letters and documents dated from 1858 to 1871 and are to, from, or about Johnson as a bishop of the Fountain Green Branch in Fountain Green, Utah. Several letters to him are from his family in Missouri, many relate to his work as a Mormon bishop from other Mormons in Manti, Great Salt Lake City, Provo, and Nephi. Some documents relate to the operation of Church courts, information on an impending government survey of the territory, and Church tithing.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Johnson, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1819-1901
- Call Number: MSS 7665
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: The originals are condition restricted. Photocopies are available for public use.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Robert L. Johnson papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7665; Robert Lewis Johnson papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: MSS 7665; LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Charles Apfelbaum, Rare Manuscripts, on December 10, 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Charles Apfelbaum; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amie Spear, student manuscript processor, and David Whittaker, curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Development of Mormonism (19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy). The letters and other papers are to or about Bishop Robert Lewis Johnson and some of which deals with his duties of bishop in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Johnson (Robert Lewis) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Amie Spear
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-10-23T09:39-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Robert L. Johnson (1819-1901) was a Mormon pioneer, farmer, and ecclesiastical leader in Utah.
Robert Lewis Johnson was born in London, Canada to Edward Johnson and Sarah Brown in 1819. He was baptized February 22, 1842 and ordained a high priest by Orson Hyde. Johnson was the bishop of the Fountain Green Ward in Fountain Green, Utah, from 1862 to 1883. He died in June 1901.
comments powered by Disqus