James H. Backman papers
James H. Backman papers
Contains publications, curriculum materials, and other items produced and collected by Backman related to his work at the J. Reuben Clark Law School. Contains teaching materials from his courses, as well as documentation on the school's internship program. Materials date from between 1977 and 2008.
- Extent: 5 cartons (5 linear ft.). -- 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Backman, James H.
- Call Number: MSS 7666
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in four series: 1. J. Reuben Clark Law School records on externship program. 2. Publications. 3. Papers on academic internships. 4. Teaching papers. on J. Reuben Clark Law School courses, 1993-2004.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from James H. Backman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 7666; James H. Backman papers; Brigham Young University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 7666, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred by James H. Backman in September 2010.Additional materials transferred by the J. Reuben Clark Law School in August 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; James H. Backman; September 2010. Transferred; J. Reuben Clark Law School; August 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Law--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Backman, James H.; Backman, James H.--Archives; J. Reuben Clark Law School--Curricula; Brigham Young University--Faculty
- Genre / Form
- Publications; Outlines
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; September 2010. Processed; Hannah Waddel; August 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Backman (James H.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- J. Gordon Daines III
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-21 15:23:55 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
James H. Backman (born 1943) is a law professor in Utah.
James Hilmer Backman was born December 31, 1943. He joined the Brigham Young University faculty in 1974. He served as the original editor-in-chief of the BYU Law Review (1974). He was founding director of BYU's Jacobsen Center for Service and Learning and university director of BYU's Office of Academic Internships. He founded the Law School Placement Office in 1974, the BYU Journal of Public Law in 1975, the LL. M. program for visiting foreign lawyers in 1986, the externship program in 1992, and the BYU International Law and Management Review in 2003.
Professor Backman is married to Lynn Kimball Jones. He is the father of six children and three step-children.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7666
J. Reuben Clark Law School records on externship program
James H. Backman publications
James H. Backman papers on academic internships
James H. Backman teaching papers
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives