Leonard J. Arrington letters
Leonard J. Arrington letters
This collection contains 28 folders, housed in 2 hollinger boxes. The collection is approximately 1500 pages long. This collection is a compilation of letters that Arrington wrote to his children once they were all out of the house. His secretary, Chris Croft, typed and xeroxed a large portion of the letters. However, later most of the letters were typed out by Arrington. The letters also contain a few diary excerpts and newspaper clippings that Arrington sent to his children. The letters begin in 1972 and extend to 1999, shortly before his death.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Arrington, Leonard J.
- Call Number: MSS 7667
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research. No photocopying. Researcher must be referred to Utah State University Library, owners of the Leonard J. Arrington papers.
- Languages and Scripts
- Maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Leonard J. Arrington letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7667; Leonard J. Arrington; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Susan Arrington Madsen, a descendant of Leonard J. Arrington, in 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated: Susan Arrington Madsen; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church officers--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Correspondence; Mormon authors--Correspondence
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Devon Zimmerman, student manuscript processor, and David Whittaker, curator.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007). Letters that Leonard J. Arrington, Mormon author and Church Historian, wrote to his children.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Arrington (Leonard J.) letters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Devon Zimmerman
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T11:18-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Leonard J. Arrington was born on July 2, 1917 in Twin Falls, Idaho. He aspired to be a farmer as his parents were, and studied at the University of Idaho. He studied agricultural science in 1935, later changing to agricultural economics. He married Grace Fort in 1942. A year later, he served in World War II for the United States, where he was stationed in North Africa and Italy until 1946. He had three children: Susan, Carl, and James, who he wrote letters to often. He also wrote a variety of publications about Mormon history throughout his life. In 1972, he was appointed Church Historian for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served in that calling until 1982. In 1982, his wife Grace died, and in 1983 Arrington was remarried to Harriet Ann Horne. He lived in Salt Lake City for the majority of his life, until his death in 1999.
comments powered by Disqus