JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton papers
JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton papers
Collection includes newspaper and magazine articles, advertisements, informational pamphlets, and correspondence, as well as published materials such as books, DVDs, and audio CDs, all created between 1980 and 2010. Materials document Hamilton's efforts in the anti-pornography unit. The collection addresses subjects such as abuse, pornography, child protection, measures to censure magazine covers in public places, sex addiction, organizations such as Citizens for Families, Internet abuse and dangers in public libraries, and advice for overcoming addiction.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 7 cartons (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hamilton, JoAnn Hibbert
- Call Number: MSS 7673
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Addendum added; Erin Owens; November 2015.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7673; JoAnn Hibbert Hamiton papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7673, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton in 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Politics, Government, and Law; Civic Activism; Internet--Safety measures; Libraries--Censorship; Pornography--Social aspects; Hamilton, JoAnn Hibbert; Hamilton, JoAnn Hibbert--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Letters; Publications
- Processing Information
- Processed; Audrey Spainhower, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2010. Addendum processed; Erin Owens; November 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007). JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton is significant in her efforts against pornography.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hamilton (JoAnn Hibbert) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- John M. Murphy, curator, and Audrey Spainhower, student manuscript processor
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-02-10 11:58:32 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton (1938- ) is a community activist in Utah.
JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton was born October 10, 1938. She was raised in Brigham City, Utah and attended Brigham Young University. She married her first husband, Sherman H. Hibbert and they attended the University of Idaho together, had eight children, and later served together when he was mission president of the Brazil Central Mission. He died of cancer in 1978. JoAnn married Fred Hamilton and their families combined, including foster children, to include 21 children. In her career she has organized a movement against pornography, indecent exposure, sex addiction, and other issues damaging to the family. She has founded several organizations, including Citizens For Families and Citizens Against Pornography, has written several books, newspaper articles, and other publications, and is a popular motivational speaker often highlighted at BYU Education Week, Especially for Youth, Know Your Religion, and other events for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
comments powered by Disqus