Clawson Y. Cannon papers
Clawson Y. Cannon papers
Contains the papers accumulated by Cannon during his life and career. Those papers include family histories, photographs, letters, official correspondence, missionary accounts, personal journals, patriarchal blessings, and Cannon's publications and research. The majority of the papers come from his work as an animal husbandry professor at Brigham Young University, as a government worker in Lebanon, and as a husband and father. The papers date between 1859 and 1976.
- Extent: 1 oversize folder (0.3 linear ft.). -- 6 cartons (6 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cannon, Clawson Y. (Clawson Young), 1885-1977
- Call Number: MSS 7793
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection has been arranged in seven series: 1. Clawson Y. Cannon family scrapbook, 1859-1976. 2. Clawson Y. Cannon personal journals, 1953-1976. 3. Clawson Y. Cannon correspondence, 1948-1976. 4. Clawson Y. Cannon papers from Lebanon, 1950-1956. 5. Clawson Y. Cannon papers from Brigham Young University, 1957-1976. 6. Clawson Y. Cannon publications, 1930-1960. 7. Clawson Y. Cannon ephemera and correspondence, undated. 8. Clawson Y. Cannon awards, 1932-1972.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Clawson Y. Cannon papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7793; Clawson Y. Cannon papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7793, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The collection was donated by the creator in 1977. A later installment was donated by his daughter Winnifred C. Jardine in 1986.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Clawson Y. Cannon; 1977. Donated; Winnifred C. Jardine; 1986.
- Separated Material
- An Album of Abyssinian Birds and Mammals, a series of published art prints, was transfered to the Rare Books Collection.
- Other Finding Aids
- Preliminary inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1546.xml
- Subject Terms
- Cannon, Clawson Y. (Clawson Young), 1885-1977; Agriculture; Beirut (Lebanon); College teachers--Utah--Biography; College teachers--Utah--Provo; Interpersonal communication
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Certificates; Diaries; Diplomas; Drafts (Documents); Envelopes (Stationery); Family histories; Financial records; Greeting cards; Letters; Loose-leaf binders; Memorandums; Publications; Scrapbooks; Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Processing Information
- Series-level processing; Parker Huber; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cannon (Clawson Y.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Parker Huber
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-05T10:22-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Clawson Y. Cannon (1885-1977) was a high school teacher, college professor, and government worker who specialized in animal husbandry (especially dairy husbandry) and agriculture.
Clawson Y. Cannon was the son of George Q. and Caroline Young Cannon. He was born on October 27, 1885 in Millcreek, Salt Lake County, Utah and died on November 3, 1977 in Provo, Utah County, Utah. Cannon was buried on November 7, 1977 in Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. On September 11, 1913, Cannon married Winnifred Morrell in Logan, Utah. She died on March 12, 1974. They had four children: Rowland Morrell Cannon, Robert Young Cannon, Winnifred Cannon, and Clawson Young Cannon, Jr.
During his career, Cannon taught at Iowa State University, Brigham Young University, Utah State University, and an high school in Boise, ID. He earned his master's and doctor's degree from Iowa State; he was the first to earn a Ph.D. in Dairy Husbandry from that school. He spent 4 1/2 years in Beirut, Lebanon, working for the U.S. Office of Foreign Agriculture Relations, where he helped develop the dairy program of that country. After returning to the United States, he taught at Brigham Young University until his retirement in 1971.
Cannon was a member of several prestigious honor societies and national dairy science associations. He received several service and teaching awards for his work at BYU. He was recognized as a "Pioneer in the Dairy Industry" by the Journal of Dairy Science in 1955, and authored more than sixty publications.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7793
Clawson Y. Cannon family scrapbook
Clawson Y. Cannon personal journals
Clawson Y. Cannon correspondence
Clawson Y. Cannon papers from Lebanon
Clawson Y. Cannon papers from Brigham Young University
Clawson Y. Cannon publications
Clawson Y. Cannon ephemera and correspondence
Clawson Y. Cannon awards
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts