Catherine Gotthoffer papers
Catherine Gotthoffer papers
Dates: approximately 1964-1995
Collection contains materials collected by Catherine Gotthoffer ranging from approximately 1964 to 1995. Materials include promotional photographs of Catherine as well as other prominent harpists, documents related to Marcel Grandjany, video recordings of the Grandjany video project, newsletters from Lyon and Healy in addition to the American Harp Society (AHS), and various handbooks and policy documents from AHS.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: American Harp Society. -- Gotthoffer, Catherine
- Call Number: MSS 7794
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- The original order of the collection has been maintained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Catherine Gotthoffer papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7794; Catherine Gotthoffer papers; Music Special Collections; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: MSS 7794, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Catherine Gotthoffer in 1995.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Catherine Gotthoffer; 1995.
- Subject Terms
- American Harp Society; Gotthoffer, Catherine--Archives; Grandjany, Marcel, 1891-1975; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Harpists--United States; Music
- Genre / Form
- Documents; Manuals (Handbooks); Newsletters; Photographs; Videocassettes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lynzi Phillips; April 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Harpists, (Section IV.a.i. International Harp Collection Development Policy, January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gotthoffer (Catherine) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lynzi Phillips
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-09-28T14:37-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Catherine Gotthoffer (born 1923) was the first life member of the American Harp Society (AHS), and is a prominent freelance harpist who served as president of the AHS twice.
Catherine Gotthoffer played the violin from a young age. It wasn't until she was about ten years old that she set her eyes on the harp. She then went on to study the harp at Julliard with Marcel Grandjany. While at school, she met her husband, a trumpet player, and in 1944, she married Robert Gotthoffer. After graduation, Robert served in the Navy and left Catherine plenty of time to pursue her career as a freelance harpist in New York. After her husband's discharge, they went to Dallas to audition for the new symphony there. They were accepted and lived there for seven years, with the exception of summers spent in New York City. Catherine then got a five year contract with MGM in Hollywood and during this time, had her two children, Ann and Richard. In 1970, she started teaching at the California Institute of the Arts. In addition to her busy schedule as a freelance harpist and teacher, Catherine was also very involved in the American Harp Society. She helped to found the Los Angeles chapter and later went on to serve as the president twice, from 1968 to 1970 and from 1972 to 1976. Catherine then became the first life member of the AHS.
comments powered by Disqus