Skaila Kanga papers
Skaila Kanga papers
Dates: approximately 1971-2005
Collection contains materials collected by Skaila Kanga dating from approximately 1971 to 2005. Materials include concert programs both solo and ensemble, news clippings, promotional materials, festival brochures, photographs and publications of ensembles and orchestras Kanga participated in, including the Nash Ensemble. The collection also contains audiocassettes and compact discs of musical performances.
- Extent: 4 carton (4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kanga, Skaila. -- Nash Ensemble
- Call Number: MSS 7803
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Original order of the collection has been maintained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Skaila Kanga papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7803; Skaila Kanga papers; International Harp Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: MSS 7803, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Skaila Kanga in 2005.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Skaila Kanga; 2005.
- Subject Terms
- Kanga, Skaila; Nash Ensemble; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Harpists--England; Music
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Brochures; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Compact discs; Photographs; Programs; Publications
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lynzi Phillips; April 2011. Processed; Melissa James; June 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Harpists, (Section IV.a.i. International Harp Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kanga (Skaila) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lynzi Phillips
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-23T04:22-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Skaila Kanga (born January 8, 1946) is a freelance harpist and Head of Harp Studies at the Royal Academy of Music in London, England.
Born in India, Skaila Kanga started to play the piano at the early age of five. At age seventeen, she chose to continue her music studies by switching to harp and studying under the direction of Tina Bonifacio, harpist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Kanga started off her professional career with the BBC Concert Orchestra, but soon furthered her work by freelancing with various London orchestras. In 1977, Kanga teamed up with the harmonica player, Tommy Reilly; the duo continued to perform for twenty-two years, giving concerts and making recordings. Also at that time Kanga joined the Nash Ensemble of which she dedicated twenty-five years of performances, premiering 32 new works and taking part in countless series at Wigmore Hall of London, England.
In addition to numerous performances both solo and ensemble, Kanga has recorded solo albums and has been credited on many film soundtracks. She is currently the principal harpist of St. Martins Orchestra, the Sinfonia of London, the London Mozart Players, and the LMP Chamber Ensemble.
The Nash Ensemble (established 1964) is an English chamber ensemble.
comments powered by Disqus