Irene Adams papers
Irene Adams papers
Collection contains research materials and manuscripts for the Unofficial Manual for Bishops' wives, which includes articles, surveys, and correspondence. The collection also includes Adams' personal journals. Materials dated 1968-2011.
- Extent: 3 carton (3 linear ft.). -- 1 half box (0.25 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (0.2 linear ft)
- Creator: Adams, Irene
- Call Number: MSS 7810
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research, except Series 1, Subseries 2 is access restricted until 2061.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in two series: 1. Irene Adams manuscripts and research materials for Unofficial Manual for Bishops’ Wives, 1991-2011. 2. Irene Adams journals, 1968-2011.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Irene Adams papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7810; Irene Adams papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7810, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Gerald Adams in 2011. Donated by Jerry Adams in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Gerald Adams; 2011. Donated; Jerry Adams; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Bishops; Marriage--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Mormon women; Travel; Diaries; Research; Adams, Irene; Adams, Irene--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Manuscripts; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, curator; May 2011. Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Adams (Irene) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Elizabeth Ballif
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-14 15:11:10 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Irene Adams (1956-2011) was a teacher, scholar, Mormon missionary, traveller, and librarian.
Irene Adams was born Marguerite Irene Vaughan on February 20, 1956, in Orange, New Jersey, to Lawrence and Mary C. Vaughan. She served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Scotland and Northern Ireland. She married Gerald E. Adams in 1986. Adams loved teaching in any capacity, and loved learning. She completed seven academic degrees - two associates, three bachelors, and two masters. She also loved to travel, and made several trips across the United States and abroad. She became a librarian at Brigham Young University, and worked in the Special Collections Department.
Adams died April 19, 2011.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7810
Irene Adams manuscripts and research materials for Unofficial Manual for Bishops’ Wives
Irene Adams journals
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts