Helen Higgins Ellis papers
Helen Higgins Ellis papers
Dates: approximately 1928-1993
This collection contains materials collected by Helen Ellis dating from approximately 1928 to 1993. Materials include concert programs, press clippings, harp journals, and personal papers and documents of Helen Ellis. Collection also contains college, harp, and music catalogs.
- Extent: 5 cartons (5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Ellis, Helen Higgins, -1994
- Call Number: MSS 7815
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Original order of the collection has been maintained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Helen Higgins Ellis papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7815; Helen Higgins Ellis papers; International Harp Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: MSS 7815, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Helen Ellis in 1995.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Helen Ellis; 1995.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music
- Genre / Form
- Academic catalogs; Catalogs; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Periodicals; Programs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lynzi Phillips; May 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Harpists, (Section IV.a.i. International Harp Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ellis (Helen Higgins) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lynzi Phillips
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-23T04:23-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Helen Higgins Ellis (died January 17, 1994) was a harpist who organized the Stephens College Harp Ensemble and studied under Marcel Grandjany.
Helen Higgins Ellis was born in Coudersport, Pennsylvania, the second child of four. She studied the harp and graduated from the Canadaigua Academy as well as the Eastman School of Music. Helen then went on to teach at the Chazy Central Rural School for three years. She moved on to teach at the Stephens College in Columbio, Missouri, until 1939. During her time at Stephens, Helen performed with symphony orchestras, gave recitals, and made radio appearances. She also organized the Stephens College Harp Ensemble. In 1936, Helen went to New York to continue her study of the harp with Marcel Grandjany. In addition to her passion for the harp, she was an active member of the Canadaigua Historical Society and was the director of the Colonial Gardens. Helen was a member of the DAR, the Botanical Society, the local Garden Club, and the American Harp Society.
comments powered by Disqus