Susann McDonald papers
Susann McDonald papers
Dates: approximately 1937-1997
This collection contains materials collected by Susann McDonald ranging from approximately 1937 to 1999. It includes photographs, press materials, World Harp Congress minutes, and other harp related documents.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: McDonald, Susann, 1935
- Call Number: MSS 7818
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Original order of the collection has been maintained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Susann McDonald papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7818; Susann McDonald papers; International Harp Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: MSS 7818, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Susann McDonald in 1997.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Susann McDonald; 1997.
- Subject Terms
- McDonald, Susann, 1935-; World Harp Congress; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Harpists--United States; Music
- Genre / Form
- Notes; Photographs; Publications
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lynzi Phillips; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Harpists, (Section IV.a.i. International Harp Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- McDonald (Susann) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lynzi Phillips
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-23T04:23-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Susann McDonald (born May 26, 1935) is a prominent harpist who has served as the head of the harp department at multiple prestigious universities, including Julliard.
Susann McDonald was born in Rock Island, Illinois, in 1935. At age fifteen, she studied with Henriette Renié and Lily Laskine at the Conservatiore de Paris. In 1955, Susann was the first American to win the Premiere Prix de Harpe. Shortly after, she was a winner in the first International Harp Competition in Israel. In the early years of her harp career, Susann toured the world. She performed in Israel, the Netherlands, South America, Canada, and Europe. She served as the head of harp departments at the University of Arizona, California State College at Los Angeles, and the University of Southern California. She also was the head of the harp department at the Julliard School of Music from 1975 to 1985. Susann was named a Distinguished Professor of Music after serving as a chairman of the harp department at Indiana University-Bloomington in the Jacobs School of Music, which has the largest harp department in the world. In addition to her positions at various universities, Susann was also the artistic director of the World Harp Congress and the honorary president of the Association Internationale des Harpistes, and founded the USA International Harp Competition.
comments powered by Disqus