Don L. Earl papers
Don L. Earl papers
Collection contains professional correspondence for when Don L. Earl was a professor at Brigham Young University, newspaper clippings of operas and other events in which he was involved, class and student files, photographs and slides including those of operas performed at BYU, music scores, production programs, and other materials relating to Earl's time as faculty at BYU and during his musical career, 1952-1978.
- Extent: 13 cartons (13 linear ft.)
- Creator: Earl, Don L. (Don Lee), 1917-1997
- Call Number: MSS 7836
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into four series: I. Don L. Earl professional papers, 1953-1978. II. Don L. Earl class and student files, 1969-1977. III. Don L. Earl photographs and slides, 1952-1976. IV. Don L. Earl scores, undated.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Don L. Earl papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7836; Don L. Earl papers; Music Special Collections; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7836, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Don Earl in 1990.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Don Earl; 1990.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music; Earl, Don L. (Don Lee), 1917-1997; Brigham Young University. Department of Music; Earl, Don L. (Don Lee), 1917-1997--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Slides (Photography); Theater programs; Photographs; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Scores; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; May 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Noteworthy LDS composer (Section IV. LDS Music Archives Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Earl (Don L.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Elizabeth West
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-08-16 10:02:18 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Don L. Earl (1917-1997) was a professor of music at Brigham Young University.
Don Lee Earl was born on August 19, 1917, to Ira Joseph and Ada Lovisa Leavitt Earl. He grew up in Las Vegas and served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Bern, Switzerland, before being transferred back to the United States with the outbreak of Word War II. During the war he served as a Navy flight instructor and a light bomber pilot. He married Ruth Lillian Moss on October 22, 1944, in Texas.
He graduated from Brigham Young University in music and received his PhD from Indiana University. He taught music and religion at BYU for 35 years. He conducted many choirs, operas, and symphonies, and ran the BYU Opera Workshop. He was the music director for the Utah Valley Opera in the late 1960's. He was a member of and served as president for the Provo branch of the American Federation of Musicians Union for twenty years. He was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served in several church positions.
Earl died on September 7, 1997, in Provo, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7836
Don L. Earl professional papers
Don L. Earl class and student files
Don L. Earl photographs and slides
Don L. Earl scores
Dates: approximately 1952-1978
Help with this Collection
Curator - Music Special Collections