Walter Lebermann papers
Walter Lebermann papers
Dates: approximately 1930-1982
Collection contains professional papers relating to Lebermann's research and his musical and academic publications, between the approximate dates of 1930 and 1982. Items include correspondence with publishers, drafts and completed copies of edition forwards, concert programs, correspondence to libraries and archives regarding manuscript holdings, travel receipts, address directories, newspaper clippings, conference programs, conference papers, Lebermann's research notebooks, publisher catalogues, and other material.
- Extent: 20 boxes (9 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lebermann, Walter
- Call Number: MSS 7847
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are predominantly in German.
- The original arrangement of the collection has been retained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Walter Lebermann papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7847; Walter Lebermann papers; Primrose International Viola Archive; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7847, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Erla Lebermann in 1986.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Erla Lebermann; 1986.
- Subject Terms
- Lebermann, Walter; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters; Programs; Research (Document genres)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lindsay A. Weaver; May 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Violist, (Section IV Primrose International Viola Archive Collection Development Policy January 2011)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lebermann (Walter) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lindsay A. Weaver
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-02-23T16:29-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Walter K. H. Lebermann (1910-1984) was a noted violinist, violist, musicologist, and lexicographer.
Walter Karl Hans Lebermann was born Febrary 23, 1910, in Karlsruhe, Germany, to Karl Ludwig and Helene (Konig) Lebermann. He studied at the Music College of Karlsruhe in 1927 and Hoch's Conservatory at the University of Frankfurt in 1935. On October 1, 1927, Lebermann married Erla T. Diekmann and together they produced two sons and a daughter. He played with the Staatstheater Oldenburg in 1936-1937 and the Radio Symphony Orchestra in Frankfurt from 1937-1964, but his enduring legacy remains as a freelance contributor to musicological journals and a prolific music editor who worked with renowned publishers such as Barenreiter, Breitkopf & Hartel, Eulenburg, Peters, and many others. He died in November 1984 at his home in Bad Homburg, Germany.
comments powered by Disqus