Dingle Ward records
Dingle Ward records
Dates: 1887-1904, 1942-1951
Contains records of the Dingle Ward, dated 1887-1904 and 1942-1951. Includes a bishop's storehouse ledger, two Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association roll books, a freewill offering day book, and a record of ward funds ledger.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dingle Ward (Dingle, Idaho)
- Call Number: MSS 7874
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Items are in chronological order by beginning of date range (with two-volume set treated as one date range).
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Dingle Ward records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7874; Dingle Ward records; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7874, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated to Special Collections by Rao H. Lindsay (possibly a descendant of one of the original bishops of the Dingle Ward) on June 13, 2011.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Rao H. Lindsay; June 2011.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Youth Auxiliaries; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dingle Ward (Dingle, Idaho); Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association
- Genre / Form
- Financial records; Rosters
- Processing Information
- Processed; David Whittaker, curator, and Amanda Crandall, manuscripts processor; June 2011. Processed; Amanda Crandall, manuscripts processor; April 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Dingle Ward records
- Finding Aid Author
- Amanda Crandall, manuscripts processor
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-06-22 10:50:24 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Dingle Dell Branch was organized in Paris, Idaho in the 1870s. It was reorganized as the Cottonwood Branch in 1882, then as the Dingle Ward in 1886; it was originally part of the Bear Lake Stake. New meeting houses were built in 1891 (with an addition in 1910) and 1951 (with additions in 1963 and 1984). The current Dingle Ward in Dingle, Idaho, is part of the Montpelier Idaho South Stake.
The first families who attended meetings in Paris, Idaho met as the Dingle Dell Branch under direction of the Paris bishopric. When the Paris ward was divided in two, Dingle Dell became part of the Paris 1st Ward. On December 11, 1877, William Passey was appointed and set apart as Presiding Elder under the direction of the Paris bishopric; he was succeeded by Samuel Allen Wilcox in 1880. On June 11, 1882, the Dingle Dell Branch was reorganized as the Cottonwood Branch with Samuel Allen Wilcox as Bishop. Four years later [late summer/fall 1886], after a counselor died and Bishop Wilcox moved away, and with the calling of Samuel Humphreys as the new bishop, the people took the opportunity to request that the name of the ward change from Cottonwood back to Dingle. In 1891, a new meeting house was appointed to be built in downtown Dingle at a cost of $3,000; an addition was built on in 1910, and then the building was used until it was torn down in 1947. Following World War II, plans for a new building were drawn up, and the resulting building was completed in February of 1951 at a cost of $65,000.
In February 1956, the nearby Wardboro Ward was dissolved, with some of the members being assigned to the Dingle Ward, and the rest to the Montpelier 1st Ward. With the addition of these members, an addition to the building became necessary; the appointed planning committee began fundraising efforts in April 1963, continuing until spring 1966 when Church policy on building construction changed and the bid was awarded to Purser and Larsen. Construction was completed in time for Easter Sunday in March 1967 (dedicated August 1967; cost was over $50,000). Another addition was made 1984-1985 due to population growth.
Notable bishops of the ward include Samuel Humphreys (1886-1914), J. Warren Sirrine (1914-1917 and approximately 1920-1929), and Golden B. Keetch (1960-1969).
comments powered by Disqus