François de Beaumont papers
François de Beaumont papers
This collection contains personal and professional correspondence many of which are letters of gratitude, research, book lists, articles concerning, and copies of "The Viola and Its Interpreters Discography", by François de Beaumont, 1920-1976.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Beaumont, François de
- Call Number: MSS 7881
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English, German, French, and Italian.
- This collection is retained in its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from François de Beaumont papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7881; François de Beaumont papers; Music Special Collections; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7881, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Arlette de Beaumont in 1991.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Arlette de Beaumont; 1991.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Publications
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; June 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Viola historian (Section IV Primrose International Viola Archive Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Beaumont (François de) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth West
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-26T04:21-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
François de Beaumont (1932-1982) was a viola historian who wrote the Discographie sur l'alto .
François de Beaumont was born in 1932 in Switzerland. While he was a young medical student in the 1950s studying to be a surgeon in Geneva, he heard a performance by William Primrose of the Bartók Viola Concerto with l'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande under the direction of Ernest Ansermet. So impressed and moved was de Beaumont by this performance that he resolved to devote part of his life to some aspect of promoting the viola. This endeavor culminated in the first printing of the Discographie sur l'alto in 1973, published by Bärenreiter and later issued in expanded editions in 1975, 1977, and 1980. He died in 1982 at the age of 49 after an operation.
comments powered by Disqus