David Len Allen scores
David Len Allen scores
Dates: approximately 1983-1995
Collection contains Allen's original manuscripts, photocopies of his arrangements, and Church music in general spanning the years of 1983-1996.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Allen, David Len, 1955
- Call Number: MSS 7884
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The original order of the collection has been retained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from David Len Allen scores must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7884; David Len Allen scores; Music Special Collections; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7884, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by David Len Allen in 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; David Len Allen; 2008.
- Subject Terms
- Allen, David Len, 1955---Archives; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Church music--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Music
- Genre / Form
- Music--Manuscripts; Scores
- Processing Information
- Processed; Sara Stout; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Noteworthy LDS composer (Section IV. LDS Music Archives Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Allen (David Len) scores
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sara Stout
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-26T04:21-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
David Len Allen (born 1955) is a prominent composer and has written over five hundred titled works.
David Len Allen was born on April 12, 1955, in Mesa, Arizona. He began performing publically at age four. At age five he began making up tunes and playing songs by ear on his grandmother’s piano. He began writing and producing plays in the second grade. Allen formally studied piano beginning at age eight with Walter Byers. Allen received his first appointment as church organist at age twelve and began to improvise and compose shortly thereafter.
Allen completed his Bachelor’s Degree and Teacher Certification in Music Education at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee in 1981, where he graduated with high honors and number one from the College of Fine Arts. Additional schooling followed and he obtained a Masters equivalent in Arts in Education with an emphasis in Theatre.
He has composed piano solos and other instrumentals including works for string orchestra, concert and marching band, and symphonic tone poems. Additionally he has written and produced five full-length musical plays, a historical music drama, an opera and several choral suites. He currently has over seventy five titles in print including six cantatas. He has composed music and lyrics for well over five hundred songs and has created many scripted presentations for school and church productions. He has taught school for more than thirty years, from pre-kindergarten to community college. He is currently teaching drama to High School students in Utah.
comments powered by Disqus