David Dalton papers
David Dalton papers
Collection contains the professional papers of David Dalton during his time at BYU and as a violist, papers from before and during his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, materials from his undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate studies, performance materials, records from his dealings with the International Viola Congress, American and International Viola Societies, papers concerning William Primrose and the Primrose International Viola Archive (PIVA), and audio recordings of his perfomances and interviews, 1954-2010.
- Extent: 65 boxes (32.5 linear ft.). -- 9 media boxes (4.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Dalton, David
- Call Number: MSS 7891
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- This collection has retained its original order but has been intellectually arranged into 7 series: 1. David Dalton professional papers, 1954-2010; 2. David Dalton personal and professional papers, 1954-1970; 3. David Dalton performance papers, 1970-1994; 4. International Viola Congress records, 1975-2010; 5. American and International Viola Societie's records, 1983-2002; 6. William Primrose papers, 1971-2001; and 7. David Dalton audio recordings, 1954-2000.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from David Dalton papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7891; David Dalton papers; Primrose International Viola Archive; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7891, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by David Dalton in 2002.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; David Dalton; 2002.
- Subject Terms
- American Viola Society; International Viola Congress; International Viola Society; Primrose International Viola Archive; Primrose, William, 1904-1982; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music; Viola--Societies, etc.; Violists
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Audiotapes; Compact discs; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; June 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Professor and prominant violist (Section IV Primrose International Viola Archive Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Dalton (David) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth West
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-26T04:22-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Dr. David Dalton is professor emeritus of viola at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah (USA).
David Dalton took BM and MM degrees in violin at the Eastman School of Music where his interest in viola was awakened by Francis Tursi. After meeting William Primrose, he switched to viola and received his doctorate in performance at Indiana University. Dalton collaborated with Primrose in writing his memoir Walk on the North Side and Playing the Viola: Conversations with William Primrose by Dalton and published by Oxford University Press. He also produced two documentaries, "A Violist's Legacy," and "William Primrose, Violist." Primrose and he were co-founders of the Primrose International Viola Archive (PIVA) at BYU, the largest and most important repository of materials related to the instrument.
Dalton's editions for viola have been published by C.F. Peters, Oxford, G. Schirmer, Eschig, Doblinger, and Rarities for Strings. His numerous articles have appeared in professional journals, such as STRAD. Dalton served as president of the American and International Viola Societies, as well as editor of the Journal of the American Viola Society. Retired, he no longer performs as soloist or chamber musician, but teaches, lectures, researches in PIVA, and pursues family history.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in MSS 7891
David Dalton professional papers
David Dalton personal and educational papers
David Dalton performance papers
International Viola Congress records
American and International Viola Societies' records
William Primrose papers
David Dalton audio recordings
Help with this Collection
Curator - Music Special Collections